What's new
What's new

Manual machinist needed in Duarte California

greggv

Hot Rolled
Hi all!
We're looking for a great manual machinist / mechanic in Duarte California. This is not a production shop, we only work on our own stuff. Shop is air conditioned. Nice equipment. You'll need to have your own tools and be good on a lathe, mill and surface grinder. Pay is 30.00 or a little more for a top of the line guy. Great place to work!
We are a packaging company that makes / repairs / modifyies our own equipment.
Waiting to hear from you! Prefer email to [email protected]
Thanks!

hey guys, we'll up the pay to 35.00 or better DOE. We really need a lathe guy! Thanks!
In a nutshell, this explains why the US will never be competitive in manufacturing. Reshore ? Dream on, sweet prince.

To me, $30 an hour (previous post) sounds, whoa, for a lathe guy ? good salary ! I'll be down tomorrow to apply !

So you make $1200 a week, after taxes maybe $800. That's $3200 a month.

Took a quick look, just an okay 2 bedroom apartment in Duarte runs $2,000. If you have the nerve to want to rent a house, it'd be $3,000. Yay ! you can live on $200 a month like homeless people ! Buy ? Umm, yeah.

So you're a really good lathe guy and the shop sounds decent enough, not cheapskate, skip the house, apartment is okay. Now you have $1200 a month for food, car, gas, insurance, clothes. None of those are free.

What if you break your leg skiing or the baby gets sick ? Baby ? Ha ! Who can afford that ? Girls are not cheap either. Give it up, fella. Make friends with your hand.

Skiing ? Oh, sorry about that. But you could still break a leg falling out of a newer pickup. No, wait, pickup $60,000, you're going to have to break that leg tripping over the crack in the sidewalk out front. The sidewalk that the city doesn't maintain because it's too expensive, they have other priorities.

It's possible that a guy making $1500 a month in Shanghai is better off.

I don't see how business can survive in the US. Your real property prices are so far out of hand, nothing can exist competitively.

Not even a matter of "whose fault", it's just so distorted that manufacturing can't afford to exist. Not unless people are willing to pay $150 for a roll of toilet paper. Which, in my experience, they are not.

Pay is 30.00 or a little more for a top-of-the-line guy. Great place to work!
now 35 ..sounds like a decent job.. any benefits?

Job shop or a shop with a product?

Re: We are a packaging company that makes / repairs / modifying our own equipment.

Snap out a repair machine part as fast as it might be pulled. I'm good at that.

Good to have a cold saw. some parting wheels, Some prehard to 43-48 plus some mild steel, some brass aluminum and plastic, drill press, Last word or the like wheel dresser. Set of good Jo blocks, a simple welder, decent bench grinder, some HSS bits for the lathe. couple mill cutters and end mills, boring head for the lathe or use same in the mill, decent set of mill hold-downs. keyway cutters, a surface plate, perhaps a rotary table.

The machinist should bring an angle plate, V block sine bar, basic measuring tools, surface and height gauge with a test and dial indicator, machinist handbook and basic tools. Along with a $500 I need it right now budget at that local tool supply, and tool grinding shop.

Q: would the machinist be expected to also be the machine repair mechanic?

I likely could fill the lathe and grinder needs, and not bad on the mill..but I'm retired.

Until that 3 Gorges Dam breaks and Shanghai gets washed out to sea..
Nah, he'll be retired by then, back to the village in Shaanxi slurping noodles, eating bunny smothered in red peppers and chugging warm beer. Maybe get a foot massage after dinner. Supervise the grandkid's homework, catch a little teevee, maybe goose the old lady a couple times before turning in.

Sorry for the diversion, OP. Sounds like a pretty decent job for a reasonable amount of money. If you were closer I'd probably apply, keep myself out of trouble for a while :)

Back