What's new
What's new

Teacher/Mentor/Instructor

Burnt Toast

Plastic
Howdy,

Hope I'm posting this in the right area. Been lurking for a few years, browsing the forum/learning what I can. A mill for my garage is becoming more and more a reality, I was hoping I might be able to find someone that's willing to take me under their wing and teach me the basics. I'm in Orange County, CA. I have a full-time job so going to a trade-school isn't an option at this point in time. Local schools don't offer a program that I'd be able to swing, schedule wise.

You're probably thinking, learn by doing. I completely agree and would pull the trigger right now and get a Mini Mill for the garage and go balls to the wall on my own, but any tips that are thrown my way or avoiding potential crashes would be much appreciated. I'm in this to learn (On a Haas preferably as I'm eyeing a Mini Mill) and absorb as much as I can because this is something I've always wanted to do while I'm still young so when I'm old I'll hopefully know what I'm doing haha.

I'm an Industrial/Product Designer by trade and way more familiar with the creative and problem solving side of product development. I work with SolidWorks on a daily basis and have a good understanding of manual milling.

So I know I'm asking a lot here, I'd actually be surprised if this thread gets some replies, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post and reach out to this awesome forum. I'm a Videographer as well and would be more than happy to put together some highlight videos for your business/shop in return, or by all means name your price on what it would take for your valued time and knowledge. And if you don't want to teach me I'll even clean your shop :D Just being around machines is eye candy for me..

Thank you for stopping by and reading, it was a long post for sure but I really appreciate it.

-Pat

Haas

Howdy,

Hope I'm posting this in the right area. Been lurking for a few years, browsing the forum/learning what I can. A mill for my garage is becoming more and more a reality, I was hoping I might be able to find someone that's willing to take me under their wing and teach me the basics. I'm in Orange County, CA. I have a full-time job so going to a trade-school isn't an option at this point in time. Local schools don't offer a program that I'd be able to swing, schedule wise.

You're probably thinking, learn by doing. I completely agree and would pull the trigger right now and get a Mini Mill for the garage and go balls to the wall on my own, but any tips that are thrown my way or avoiding potential crashes would be much appreciated. I'm in this to learn (On a Haas preferably as I'm eyeing a Mini Mill) and absorb as much as I can because this is something I've always wanted to do while I'm still young so when I'm old I'll hopefully know what I'm doing haha.

I'm an Industrial/Product Designer by trade and way more familiar with the creative and problem solving side of product development. I work with SolidWorks on a daily basis and have a good understanding of manual milling.

So I know I'm asking a lot here, I'd actually be surprised if this thread gets some replies, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post and reach out to this awesome forum. I'm a Videographer as well and would be more than happy to put together some highlight videos for your business/shop in return, or by all means name your price on what it would take for your valued time and knowledge. And if you don't want to teach me I'll even clean your shop :D Just being around machines is eye candy for me..

Thank you for stopping by and reading, it was a long post for sure but I really appreciate it.

-Pat

Pat,

I am in Mississippi. The Haas people here have demo days and free training. You should look them up, in your area. We have a mini mill here, but it doesn't get much work. The work area is limited.

Good luck!

I might be of some assistance:

I have tons of HAAS experience
I have been a machinist for 20 years
I used to teach machine shop
I am a MasterCam expert
I can Program 3-5 Axis mill, 2-5 Axis lathe, EDM
I can write posts and alter them
I also have a full time job and my own shop where I do work on the side (just like you wanna do)
I'm close enough (Baldwin Park CA)

I might be the best candidate your gonna find

Back