What's new
What's new

14x54 Pacemaker question

mac13

Cast Iron
I happened upon a 14x54 Pacemaker today (by sheer accident). It has the 2-piece hardend ways, the 2K high speed spindle option, a TA, Aloris post, and a 3-jaw chuck. It had a price on it that the seller said was less than scrap value. Overall outside appearence was pretty rough but on closer inspection everything was well lubricated and all controls seemed to work freely with the exception of the cross slide which was very tight. I did not see it under power but the spindle seemed to turn quite nice by hand. I was in a hurry to get somewhere and did not get to spend enough time looking at everything and forgot to get the serial # off it but I figure it's a 50's vintage machine. While I think it was affordably priced, I think I can deal with the seller. What I would like to know is the weight of the lathe so that I can know what the actual scrap value is to leverage the seller. I was really wanting for a 14X30 due to space constraints but I'd hate to pass this up.

One more thing. I don't think that this is a 27 speed lathe but I'm not sure how to tell. Can anyone give me a few pointers on what to look for?

Thanks

Mac

For the 27 speeds, all you have to do in look at the shifting lever station right on the headstock. It will have them numbered.

Bulletin 16 (May 1955) says the 14 X 54 weighed 5725 "Domestic Shipping Weight"

John Oder

Thanks John,

There are no numbers in the center posisition, only on the far left and right so I guess it is not a 27 speed gear box.

Mac

Pacemaker

Does this lathe have rounded castings for the head stock and tail stock? Sometime in the '50s the lathe had a major redesign. The newer model is MASSIVE and best characterized as boxy. The head and tailstocks have 90* angles everywhere. The older model has curved, more flowing lines. The new model may weigh as much as 8800#. The new model may be powered by a 15HP motor. The current draw on 220V would be approximately 40A on a three phase circuit at full load.
Do you have a commercial space to install this lathe? If you needed to down size a 7.5HP may work out quite nicely.
Has anyone ever tried temporarily driving the head stock with a large hand held drill via a shaft that has been chucked up? It would be very tiring to pull the V-belts to check every speed and feed.
Just some things to think about.
Thanks,
Larry on lake Superior

They switched from the pedestal style base to the heavier solid base with enclosed feed box sometime in the early fifties, '53 maybe? These still have the rounded art-deco style to them. They changed to the square headstock and tailstock around 1960. The serial number is on the front of the bed at the right end and ends with the year (#####-##).

Bought it

Well I finally got back up there today and bought the lathe. This will most definately be a project lathe. Cosmeticaly it looks bad but with the exception of the compound everything turns smooth and feels tight. We could not see it under power but we rolled it around by hand for over an hour and shifted everything with no porblems. It has a 10" 3-jaw, TA, micrometer stop, thread dial, live center, and Aloris post.

I won't pick it up until after the holidays which will give me time to make room in the shop for a long term project. The serial # is 7198150 so I take it that this machine was built in 1950. It looks pretty rough but I think it will clean up nice and be a good addition to the shop.

DSCN1205.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1203.jpg

I probably paid too much for it ($1500), but I better spend it before someone tries to re-distribute it, besides the fact that I just plain old wanted it :drool5:

Mac

they have one just like yours at the Mt. Rainier Scenic R.R. We have made a lot of chips with that thing, and it has never failed to produce. No doubt, you will find that you made a good deal.

Ahh, the "Art Deco" Pacemaker... Love that design. In fact, I love American's designs period. Their "Hole Wizard" radial drills are as beautiful as the Pacemakers.

I have one of the very last of the Pacemakers, a "Zip Shift" machine. 27 speeds, 15 to 1680, shifted hydraulically via a preselect control. It is boxy and HEAVY, over 8,000 lbs for the base 36" bed length. I love it, such a sweet machine to run.

Does that machine have a taper attachment? I can't quite tell from the photos... If it does, you'll probably be suprised to find out that the plain taper attachment has hard ways as well! :)

No expense spared...

I hope you plan to give her a thorough go-over with Scotch brite, way oil, and paint before putting her into service. She deserves it.

BTW: Bourn & Koch took over American's parts support. They stock many Pacemaker parts and can make what they don't stock should you need anything.

Yeah man, prepare to be ruined for life as far as lathes are concerned. After a while of running it, you'll find yourself starting every sentence about a lathe with: "If it was my Pacemaker...."

Back