What's new
What's new

17 cinci hydrashift clutch adjusts fine, shifts fine- now no lube oil flow? eh?

wfissell

Plastic
Thank you to all who helped me with the clutch. You werent kidding one notch is PLENTY. I got the clutch and brake packs adjusted, oil pressure is fine, shifts perfectly, BUT

There is no oil going to the distribution block for lubrication. The elbow that comes out of the hydraulic shift block that feeds the distribution block for lubrication has no oil coming out of it with motor running or with machine running and clutch engaged.

The original paper manual and online doesnt give me a lot of help with why this might be.

Thank you for helping this noob.

Glad to hear that you got the clutch (and brake?) adjusted correctly.

As to the oil flow, it should only be pushing oil to the distribution block when the clutch is engaged and the shafts and gears are spinning. If my memory is correct, the lubrication oil flow is pressurized by the small Tuthill pump on the end of the "B" shaft, by way of the hydraulic valve block. If you disconnect the output line (a copper tube that comes up from pump and taps into the valve block; see red arrow in photo below) from this pump, are you getting oil flow when the "B" shaft is spinning?

Be warned: if there's no pressure from the small "B" shaft pump, then the gears will try to shift even if the spindle is turning if you change the gear shift dial. The valve block prevents a shift input from the dial wheel on the front of the headstock from being executed if there's any pressure present from the small pump. Only when the "B" shaft (and thus all of the other shafts and the spindle) are stopped will a shift occur. This is the mechanism that allows a pre-selection of the next spindle speed while the lathe is turning; the gear combination for the new speed is implemented as soon as the shafts stop turning.

Although the pumps on my Hydrashift are functional, I've gotten in the habit of waiting until the spindle has stopped before selecting the next speed. Safer and slightly slower, but these are not really production machines anymore anyway.

100_0294.jpg

Aha! That copper line is just loose on the other end! I guess I am taking the valve block off... YET AGAIN!

And yes, I wait until everything stopped before shifting too.

Works perfectly now. I have not stressed it by taking heavy cuts, and I have to be a lil careful about gear changing, but its a different machine now. Thankn you all for your help!

Back