What's new
What's new

18” Lehmann

Just got done calling it a day making a run of custom cap screws for a customer.

Spent most of the day running the 18” Lehmann gear head. Have always wondered how old it is. Been around my whole life but I’m a spring chicken. Serial number is 872. Anyone know? We use it damn near every day. And it’s right on the money for what we do. Total loss oil system. Weird clutch reverser setup is finicky but doesn’t put too much hitch in the get along. Taper attachment has no reference marks so it’s always a game getting her setup for the occasional job. Which is not much. We don’t encounter many tapers in our line of work. Some API threads. Bout it

Just got done calling it a day making a run of custom cap screws for a customer.

Spent most of the day running the 18” Lehmann gear head. Have always wondered how old it is. Been around my whole life but I’m a spring chicken. Serial number is 872. Anyone know? We use it damn near every day. And it’s right on the money for what we do. Total loss oil system. Weird clutch reverser setup is finicky but doesn’t put too much hitch in the get along. Taper attachment has no reference marks so it’s always a game getting her setup for the occasional job. Which is not much. We don’t encounter many tapers in our line of work. Some API threads. Bout it

All I could turn up:

Lehmann Machine Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org

Looks as if the FIRST of their geared heads started 1922.

The newer "oil country" lathes one can find advertised came after a resuscitation of the name by new owners.

Older than 1926 - which had 1100 serials

Dang I’d of never guessed it was that old. Never seen another Lehmann in person this small or old looking, only a couple of the big oil country ones like thermite mentioned.

The headstock is as loud as windmill but never have been able to figure out exactly what it is. Tops out at 422 rpm. Thread QC from 2-224 tpi. Has roller bearings on everything except the spindle mains in there. Top of head stock cover has 2 rectangular steel access covers in top of main cover. Always thought it’d be neat to replace those with some plexiglass or something and be able to look in there as it’s lumbering along.

Tesasaggie,

I used to own a 18" x 84" Lehmann Gearhead lathe s/n 1249, which was born in 1929. At one time I had copies of most of the drawings to the parts on that lathe. They are long gone except for a few odd ball drawings. I rebuilt my lathe pretty much from the ground up. And yes, the head stock was very noisy. I replaced the old clutch with a electric clutch/brake on the one I had. It's over in central Louisiana making repairs on dump trucks and logging trucks the last time I heard. I'm guessing yours was born around 1924.

Does your apron have lever clutches or knobs to engage the clutches?

Ken

Oh ok. Very interesting. This one is a 18”x40 (give or take 4” depending on tailstock overhang) At some point either dad or grandpa did some work to it and possibly re scraped and flaked to bed. It’s flaking it’s very present and showy. The apron has the stubborn star knobs like the L&S from Mr. Oder. Been used to the whacking and the palm slap, watching to see if the nut in the center of the “star” is spinning. If it is You know you’re “hung up” few years back while changing oil one of the bronze shift collars was beat to hell. Made a new one. Found out the rocker to shift congruently with middle shifter had work out on the “detent”. Making that new shifter collar was one of the more challenging efforts I’ve stumbled upon in hobbling this old stuff along to eek a living.

For grins, here's a picture or two to share. Some ot the lathe pictures posted may have the serial numbers marked on the back of the picture. I'll try to find them and post information if I can find them. Ken

Attachments

• Lehmann-22-1.jpg
    Lehmann-22-1.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Lehmann-3.jpg
    Lehmann-3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Lehmann-9.jpg
    Lehmann-9.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Lehmann-10.jpg
    Lehmann-10.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Lehmann-11.jpg
    Lehmann-11.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 48
Here's some more pictures.....

Attachments

• Lehmann-12.jpg
    Lehmann-12.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Lehmann-13.jpg
    Lehmann-13.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Lehmann-14.jpg
    Lehmann-14.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Lehmann-15.jpg
    Lehmann-15.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Lehmann-19.jpg
    Lehmann-19.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 29
One more posting of pictures. There's two pictures here of special machines they built at one time. They were known for making speciality turning machines back in the days.

Attachments

• Lehmann-23.jpg
    Lehmann-23.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Lehmann-24.jpg
    Lehmann-24.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Lehmann-25.jpg
    Lehmann-25.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Lehmann-29.jpg
    Lehmann-29.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Lehmann-26.jpg
    Lehmann-26.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 31
Texasaggie,

Looks like someone did a very nice job rescraping your lathe. Being that old, I don't think that would be factory.... I could be wrong. I did notice in my pictures, LEhmann did spot the ways back then. I know for a fact, they quit doing that back around 1940 or so. Just leaving the surface slick. They were known for the rounded top on their ways. The saddle is flat bottom, which when fitted to the bed, had lots of unworn surface at the top of the vee on the saddle. Ken

Here's a picture of my old Lehmann lathe.

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 35
Is that a rotary device in pic 1?

The is for cutting those funny looking oil grooves on journal boxes, I assume for the old style railcars back in the day. Long before the Timken equipped bearings used today replaced them. I want to say that picture and machine was taken around 1925. Some of the pictures in the "salesman" book had dates and some did not. Just have to find those pictures.

This is really neat thank you for sharing all your info and pictures. They are extremely hard to fing stuff on old Lehmann

Last edited:

Back