What's new
What's new

1920 Lodge and Shipley gear head lathe Clutch wont disengage

Roaner

Plastic
As the title says I have a 1920 lodge and Shipley 14 inch gear head lathe that I have been getting working again after nearly 30 years of sitting. I have gotten the original 3 hp motor working again and now I'm stuck with a clutch that will not disengage. Before I go tearing into this I wanted to know if anyone had any input into the tear down of the clutch assembly.

Thanks for your reply, I had previously read you post that you linked but could not find it again.

Good luck on condition of such things as the SPECIAL nuts - mine was horrible in that regard

In any case you will still be making tools to fit them

My bet is that it's adjusted too tight or just stuck from sitting. Loosen it off a touch and see if it releases before tearing too deep into it.

My bet is that it's adjusted too tight or just stuck from sitting. Loosen it off a touch and see if it releases before tearing too deep into it.

So I got everything together and was about to start tearing into it and the Neanderthal in me got an idea. Why not hit it with a hammer? So got my rubber coated dead blow hammer out several wacks on the side and the end in multiple positions of engagement and sure enough it started to slip when turned on in the neutral position. I let it run for a few minutes and would work the engagement handle in and out between released and full on and it finally started working as it should.

Thank for you inputs guys

The star wheel type cone feed clutches are also prone to sticking. It's now instinct to slap the star wheel as quickly as it's released to totally stop the feed, lol.

The star wheel type cone feed clutches are also prone to sticking. It's now instinct to slap the star wheel as quickly as it's released to totally stop the feed, lol.

That's what I am working on now the power crossfeed works only when I hold in on the adjustment handle so i think i may need to take off the apron and look at everything behind it as you cannot see anything from either side.

Thanks for the pics those will help alot. Mine will not be near as heavy I hope. Mine does not have the star knobs but round knobs, im sure its works the same though

lodge.jpg

lodgechuck.jpg

My project and the shop made attachment for the chuck, there is a ring that is behind the original faceplate that clamps the chuck to the faceplate.

mine will look the same if i can manage to get it broke loose im sure, here is mine with the chuck off but the faceplate still on.
chuckface.jpg
chuckface2.jpg
The ring is torch cut and they used 3 bolts to bolt the 3 jaw chuck through the face plate.
I did find a very nice collet chuck with collets that is made for the double nose spindle, i just need to make a backplate for a 4 jaw or find an original.

Back