Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No update yet, I had to handle a few other projects first. I did get the cross feed nut back into place with a new set screw. Gonna tackle getting the table off again at some point in the next few weeks. Too much work, not enough time!

2. Likes texasgunsmith liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had some time tonight so I played with it some more. After getting the cross feed nut back in place and loctiting a new set screw in, I decided to see if I could get the table moving to the right this time. It was stuck pretty good from all my attempts to push it off the left side. This setup worked nicely, using the forklift for an anchor and bolting the machine to the concrete with some big tapcons.

Turns out, it was indeed a bent gib screw.

I'm gonna order some 4140 and machine a new one, but otherwise I'm back in business. Table moves freely with the gib not all jammed up, I can even push it around by hand instead of ramming it with an 8500lb forklift

Being able to actually adjust the gib AND have my X-axis back will go a long way towards the performance of the machine, I suspect.

4. Likes texasgunsmith, svs, 4GSR liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dope View Post
    Being able to actually adjust the gib AND have my X-axis back will go a long way towards the performance of the machine, I suspect.
    That's awesome, glad it worked out. I'm still in the process of putting mine back together, decided to go a little further getting things cleaned up, getting lube system cleaned and working, etc.

Also looking forward to running mine with gib adjusted proper. I too suspect a world of difference.

6. Likes Dope liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dope Sir,
    Hey you don't 'need' 4140 for that gib screw.. 12l14 or any other free machining steel works just fine. May get you up and running a bit sooner if you any thing like that lying about.
    Hope this helps
    Stay safe
    Calvin B ( 1937 #2L,1905 #2 cincy owner )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by calvin b View Post
    Dope Sir,
    Hey you don't 'need' 4140 for that gib screw.. 12l14 or any other free machining steel works just fine. May get you up and running a bit sooner if you any thing like that lying about.
    Hope this helps
    Stay safe
    Calvin B ( 1937 #2L,1905 #2 cincy owner )
    That's a good thought! I happen to have some leaded stock laying around somewhere...hmmmm

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Final update: got around to making that gib adjustment bolt and got the machine back together. I was able to take a lot of slack out of the table now that I can actually adjust the gib and also got slack out of the feed screw too. There are adjustable lock nuts on either end of the table that lets you take some/most of the backlash out of the feed screw, I wasn't even aware! The manual I got from svs was very useful, thank you! Thanks to everyone that commented, for that matter, it's been an adventure learning this "new" machine.

Dope

10. Likes texasgunsmith, dalmatiangirl61, svs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a good looking gib screw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Dope liked this post