What's new
What's new

1938 Cincinnati 2MH powered overarm - replacement bevel gear?

Dope

Cast Iron
Hello!

I recently purchased a 1938 Cincinnati 2MH horizontal mill with the powered universal/toolmaker's overarm. I recently took apart the vertical head because I managed to snap one of the bolts while tramming the head in. When I had it apart, I realized that one of the bevel gears is completely trashed (which makes sense, it makes a lot of noise when running it clockwise vs counterclockwise).

20201111_235907.jpg20201111_235900.jpg20201111_232027.jpg20201111_231836.jpg

Hard to take a picture but you can see how pointy the gears are, because half of each tooth is worn away (you can see the step at the bottom of each tooth). Two of the gears are even chipped.

The mating gear however, looks absolutely perfect:

20201111_232218.jpg

The question is, this machine is brand new to me and I have almost no information on it. Is there any way to source parts for a machine this old? I'm assuming not, so the second question is, what would be the best way to obtain a new gear? It's really hard to even measure anything on this since it's so worn. The OD is 3.125" and each tooth is almost exactly 1" long but that's about as much as I can really ascertain. It's got 24 teeth and the good mating gear is 26. I suspect I'm going to have to get a custom gear made and cut the old one off the assembly and weld/machine a new one on. I just don't even know where to start with something like this. Is there any chance that this is at least a standard gear form that I could obtain a pre-cut gear blank for and machine out the ID and such on?

Any advice would be appreciated for this newbie.

Dope

Last edited:
In terms of buying parts, probably not cheap.

Though I do happen to have the all guts of that exact same toolmakers overarm sitting by my garage. Uh, post a picture of a little more scaled back picture of what gear or gears you need and we can work out whatever you need to pay me for postage.

Sometimes things work out I guess.

Some backstory: the machine they came off of had super worn out ways. I happen to have a less worn 2MH without overarm, so I took most of the interesting things off the worn out machine (including a dividing head drive box, which was really my reason for buying). Anyways, I have been storing them for a while, but have had to take them out to fix a leaky basement. I was just about to toss most of it :bawling:

In terms of buying parts, probably not cheap.

Though I do happen to have the all guts of that exact same toolmakers overarm sitting by my garage. Uh, post a picture of a little more scaled back picture of what gear or gears you need and we can work out whatever you need to pay me for postage.

Sometimes things work out I guess.

Some backstory: the machine they came off of had super worn out ways. I happen to have a less worn 2MH without overarm, so I took most of the interesting things off the worn out machine (including a dividing head drive box, which was really my reason for buying). Anyways, I have been storing them for a while, but have had to take them out to fix a leaky basement. I was just about to toss most of it :bawling:

Oh wow, that is extremely generous of you. To be honest, I'd probably be happy to pay you for all the parts, your time and the postage as well. No sense in letting good parts go to waste, I may need them someday.

Okay, let me try to illustrate my situation a little better.

I have the entire nose of the overarm removed at this point:

20201112_233519.jpg

Here's a rough layout of the assembly of the parts that I have removed:

20201112_234435.jpg20201112_234444.jpg

This is what I need, the shaft with splines at one end and a helical bevel gear at the other:

20201112_233723.jpg20201112_234056.jpg

The number stamped in the splined end is 99355

Cont'd in next post due to attachment limit

If you have it, I would also love the gear that is in the first right-angle segment (the segment WITHOUT the 50 taper spindle).

20201112_234456.jpg

I haven't removed it yet so this is the best pic I have. On the OUTSIDE of this casting, there is another bevel gear on the same shaft and it has 133144 stamped on it:

20201112_234654.jpg

The internal bevel gear (in the first pic) may have a part number on it but I'll have to finish disassembling it to get to it.

Dope

Sounds good! I should have all of those gears and what not. I do have the castings for the head, but I think those would not be worth shipping because you have them, and they would probably have to go freight.

I can get you some pictures maybe Sunday. I have some rush work today and tomorrow!

David

Sounds good! I should have all of those gears and what not. I do have the castings for the head, but I think those would not be worth shipping because you have them, and they would probably have to go freight.

I can get you some pictures maybe Sunday. I have some rush work today and tomorrow!

David

Many thanks brother. Too bad we didn't live closer, I'm in Indiana now but it's still probably a 10 hour drive each way LOL

Alright, this is what I have for you. All of the gears and bearings out of the articulating portion and spindle, as well as the gears in the gearbox.

The first gear you wanted is not integral to the shaft like yours, but the nut clears the gear mesh so it should work the same. Not sure if it is factory original or replacement. The nut is a little beaten up.

The gearbox gears seem like they have been “fixed”/replaced at some point. They did run ok though.

All the parts could use a run through the parts washer before installing them. The person who had the machine before me was a bit of a goober and had used ATF in the overarm :rolleyes5: Not sure if he was the one who repaired the sliding gears or someone before him.

I can PM you the postage prices on whatever you want. I just can’t seem to send image attachments well in pm messages.

Attachments

• DE7F9C50-A5F0-4555-8971-8BD69BC2BE76.jpg
    DE7F9C50-A5F0-4555-8971-8BD69BC2BE76.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DE54DC53-54B3-4BC1-BE96-DA35B01A5B94.jpg
    DE54DC53-54B3-4BC1-BE96-DA35B01A5B94.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 22
  • C5D77C12-3617-4CD9-9A4F-3F2208E0F400.jpg
    C5D77C12-3617-4CD9-9A4F-3F2208E0F400.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 5B15E265-991B-4DFF-854D-DE7F7EAB04B0.jpg
    5B15E265-991B-4DFF-854D-DE7F7EAB04B0.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 4A19EA72-98B6-41AB-ABD7-BB35CE8D1FE6.jpg
    4A19EA72-98B6-41AB-ABD7-BB35CE8D1FE6.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 20
Alright, this is what I have for you. All of the gears and bearings out of the articulating portion and spindle, as well as the gears in the gearbox.

The first gear you wanted is not integral to the shaft like yours, but the nut clears the gear mesh so it should work the same. Not sure if it is factory original or replacement. The nut is a little beaten up.

The gearbox gears seem like they have been “fixed”/replaced at some point. They did run ok though.

All the parts could use a run through the parts washer before installing them. The person who had the machine before me was a bit of a goober and had used ATF in the overarm :rolleyes5: Not sure if he was the one who repaired the sliding gears or someone before him.

I can PM you the postage prices on whatever you want. I just can’t seem to send image attachments well in pm messages.

Thank you so much. I'll send you a PM.

Back