What's new
What's new

1941 LeBlond Oil Leak...

ramsay1

Titanium
Hello everyone: I have a 1941 LeBlond 15 inch trainer with leaky oil seals on the lower shift shafts on the head stock... Book shows a packing with a packing screw on each one.. I removed the screws after having made a tool to fit the slots and could not get the packings out.. I added some cotton string to the packing to see if that helps.. I wonder if anyone else has had experience with this situation and if those packings are still available from LeBlond... Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

Search ebay or other for "gland packing" or garlock packing. Usually graphite impregnated rope or string.

The string or rope comes in a great many different thicknesses. Not sure about Leblond, but medium and larger Monarchs have similar on head stock levers. Here's one short link:
Packing arrangement around gear shift shafts - 16 CY

An example of one thickness of gland packing:
HOLDENFLEX AST-6711 Gland Packing, 3mm square braid x 3m, graphite impregnated | eBay

To get it out might be a chore, as it will come out in chunks and pieces. Dental picks, small screw drivers etc to poke and pick at it.

Installing it will require some re-tightens until it settles in and quits leaking. Instead of coiling it, might cut single strands and overlap them, spacing the gaps where you cut it.

Search ebay or other for "gland packing" or garlock packing. Usually graphite impregnated rope or string.

The string or rope comes in a great many different thicknesses. Not sure about Leblond, but medium and larger Monarchs have similar on head stock levers. Here's one short link:
Packing arrangement around gear shift shafts - 16 CY

An example of one thickness of gland packing:
HOLDENFLEX AST-6711 Gland Packing, 3mm square braid x 3m, graphite impregnated | eBay

To get it out might be a chore, as it will come out in chunks and pieces. Dental picks, small screw drivers etc to poke and pick at it.

Installing it will require some re-tightens until it settles in and quits leaking. Instead of coiling it, might cut single strands and overlap them, spacing the gaps where you cut it.

Thanks! I probably have some rope packing around here somewhere as some of the old machines at work used it in water pumps.... I checked the LeBlond yesterday and it seems to have stopped leaking ....The bad thing is that if the oil level leaks to the bottom of the shafts, the gears no longer touch the remaining oil and we all know what that means... Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

Back