Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In response to your question about the Bijur metering valves, I sourced them directly from Bijur - just called them up and gave them a list of what I needed. But from what I have seen now you can get the equivalent from McMaster-Carr, bptparts.com (they cater to Bridgeports but the metering valves can be cross referenced) so I'd say go wherever you can get them quickest/cheapest.

Wow, that apron is very crusty. How did they even get all that grease in there? pretty interesting...

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by b2major9th View Post
    In response to your question about the Bijur metering valves, I sourced them directly from Bijur - just called them up and gave them a list of what I needed. But from what I have seen now you can get the equivalent from McMaster-Carr, bptparts.com (they cater to Bridgeports but the metering valves can be cross referenced) so I'd say go wherever you can get them quickest/cheapest.

Wow, that apron is very crusty. How did they even get all that grease in there? pretty interesting...

Mike
    Thanks. It may be a little hard to tell to what we need since some of the lines/fittings were pretty well destroyed. I may be asking a few questions when we get around to those.

Someone decided that it didn't need oil and instead grease would be better so they packed it full.

Most confusing since the pump squirted out a little oil when it was on it's side, it may actually be working. I have no idea why they didn't buy a sight glass and fix the pump.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

well,just broke a chunk out of the top cover,not knowing a 'funny' handle was the LAST BOLT holding it on!!-some nickle rod and some patience smothing the mating surfaces again...pat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sidney V-way angle

I already posted this picture over on the social media, but for completeness of this thread it is something that any Sidney owner should be aware of: The prismatic (V) ways are not 90 degrees - they are 100 degrees. I became aware of this because when I got my Sidney it did not have its factory-supplied steady rest, but rather someone had adapted a correctly-sized Monarch steady rest. They fabricated a new base for the Monarch steady, but cut the V-way at 90-degrees, which does not properly fit the V-way on the Sidney. It is not clear that the Monarch steady was ever used. You can easily see this by taking a good, precision V-block and placing it on the V-way. It does not sit on the way properly, but has only a single line of contact on each side of the V-block. Now I'm not sure if that applies to all Sidney lathes and for reference, mine is SN 7774 made in 1944. The important thing is to check before you start cutting metal...
    img_9657.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i'd love to have a 'head count' of sidneys here in ca.--thought i was the only one for a while!!--pat

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pat pounden View Post
    i'd love to have a 'head count' of sidneys here in ca.--thought i was the only one for a while!!--pat
    There's another in the Pasadena area that owns a spur gear Sidney 14 just like mine, but a few years newer that was also a Navy machine, and was able to purchase it out of a surplus sale from the Mechanical Engineering Department at Caltech.

As far as I know he has not been active on this forum since contacting me for a copy of the manual that I scanned.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's another in the Pasadena area that owns a spur gear Sidney 14 just like mine, but a few years newer that was also a Navy machine, and was able to purchase it out of a surplus sale from the Mechanical Engineering Department at Caltech.

As far as I know he has not been active on this forum since contacting me for a copy of the manual that I scanned.

Mike
    Oh man, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you're the fella that posted the manual. Man you're a lifesaver for getting such quality detailed images. It was super helpful for getting the apron apart, and I'm sure it will be helpful on the QCGB as well. Thanks again for doing that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    Oh man, I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you're the fella that posted the manual. Man you're a lifesaver for getting such quality detailed images. It was super helpful for getting the apron apart, and I'm sure it will be helpful on the QCGB as well. Thanks again for doing that.
    No problem, I sent several copies out to people, but because of the size required splitting it up and sending installments in multiple emails. One kind forum member assembled them all into a single document and posted it on his website (midiesel.com)If you downloaded the manual from his page, you will note the cover page of the manual is marked with SN 7774, which is my lathe. I originally had all pages in a single document but it was 59 Mbytes.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No problem, I sent several copies out to people, but because of the size required splitting it up and sending installments in multiple emails. One kind forum member assembled them all into a single document and posted it on his website (midiesel.com)If you downloaded the manual from his page, you will note the cover page of the manual is marked with SN 7774, which is my lathe. I originally had all pages in a single document but it was 59 Mbytes.

Mike
    That's the one I've got. There are quite some significant differences between 12 and 16 speed that I didn't realize until I looked at the manual. Like the clutch is quite different, and since neither gear design has a thrust component, I figured they would both use the same type of bearing. But looks like the 12 speeds use 5200 series angular contact bearings, whereas the 16 uses Timkin Tapered roller bearings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    That's the one I've got. There are quite some significant differences between 12 and 16 speed that I didn't realize until I looked at the manual. Like the clutch is quite different, and since neither gear design has a thrust component, I figured they would both use the same type of bearing. But looks like the 12 speeds use 5200 series angular contact bearings, whereas the 16 uses Timkin Tapered roller bearings.
    They made many changes, most of them minor from year to year as well. If I compare my QC gearbox (1944 vintage) to Dave's (1947) they changed the tumbler oiler position from the far right as on mine, to the wide spot near the center, although the arrow indicating tumbler position to receive oil is still on the right hand side. I wouldn't be surprised if they also changed bearing suppliers, types, etc. throughout for pre-WW II machines vs those produced during WW II, vs those produced after.

Mike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Clappedoutbport,
    Check out CNC Speciality for Bjur type metering units. Good price and high quality.
    Excello 942

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by pat pounden View Post
    Add another one to your list. This fella picked up this super clean looking 14" in LA. For Free. Painted the same as my Royersford too.

Gotta be in the right place at the right I suppose. You Californians seem to be very generous.

sidney-lathe.jpgsidney-lathe-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by excello942 View Post
    Clappedoutbport,
    Check out CNC Speciality for Bjur type metering units. Good price and high quality.
    Excello 942
    Thanks XLO. The problem now will really be figuring out what I need. All I have to go by is some smashed brass bits. I'll check back in the manual really carefully. We also have so bridgeport parts I may be able to rob for now.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can cross check the numbers on yours with mine if that will help. Let me know which ones you need.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the 1947 machine I mentioned earlier - He got it from the ME department at Caltech in Pasadena, just had to haul it away

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sidney7.jpg