What's new
What's new

1950's LeBlond Regal 17 motor horsepower

Jeremy

Hot Rolled
Posted something similar in the antique forum, but didn't get any bites. Any ideas what size electric motor would have shipped in a 1940's/50's vintage LeBlond Regal 17X60 lathe? The one I'm buying was retrofitted with a 2HP 220V 1PH motor because the 3PH "was just about shot", whatever that means. I have access to 3PH power and would just as soon put it back to stock.

Regals were not in any way Heavy Duty, but I would guess at least 5 HP. My CW16 Monarch, a tad beefier, came with 7 1/2
Never the high speed (3450 etc) versions

Posted something similar in the antique forum, but didn't get any bites. Any ideas what size electric motor would have shipped in a 1940's/50's vintage LeBlond Regal 17X60 lathe? The one I'm buying was retrofitted with a 2HP 220V 1PH motor because the 3PH "was just about shot", whatever that means. I have access to 3PH power and would just as soon put it back to stock.

I posted the following in that thread. Did you get a hold of LeBlond?

This is the person I emailed at LeBlond.

[email protected]

they responded fairly quickly. It has been 5 years so I hope they can still help.

When I gave them my serial number they gave me a lot of info. Mine was bought without a motor as Chrysler supplied their own. They may have the info you are looking for.

Good luck.

Jeff

Never the high speed (3450 etc) versions

Point. I'd be 'at least' as concerned as to whether the OEM motor was a 17XX or 11XX, or..

Aside from the results of the ratio selections matching 'book', higher-pole-count / lower RPM motors have more torque AT that RPM to make the same HP. Mathematics, as it were.

At least a few of the many things LeBlond hung a 'Regal' nameplate onto were known to not have the strongest of gears. One wouldn't want to make a hard-to-fix problem out of an easy-to-fix solution.

Bill

Back