What's new
What's new

1962 Cincinnati 2MI Coolant problems?

Style23

Plastic
Hey all,

Please keep in mind im very novice when it comes to machining. i have a 1962 Cincinnati knee mill. Ive gone through most of it, cleaned, lubed, etc. I have it running and its still having a few issues but googling has helped me sort most of it out.

My main question is when i use the coolant it pukes fluid on the floor on the right side. I think i have it isolated to a lever that i can not for the life of me figure out what it is for.

I have my knee motor currently disconnected (because that is the only motor that wont do 240v 3 phase) and have not gotten it re-tapped, or replace yet. So not entirely sure what all the levers do function wise besides what the manual tells me.

However it looks like this lever is where my coolant leak is coming from. One manual i have says the knee drain is right there, but doesnt go into much detail. I have attached photos.

in the photo you can see all the coolant pooled on top of the solenoid.
20200514_195638.jpg
20200514_195632.jpg

My mill is 10 years older..

Lever looks to be close to the same place, as my Y axis saddle lock.

Old mills leak..

Use of waterbased coolants on old school mills, not in daily production... And sitting for a long time.. Not a good combination..

Quite possibly coolant return troughs in saddle, are blocked with rusted chips/crud.

This can cause water to enter knee and geartrain.. And leak coolant out of strange places.

Looks like grease on y axis ways.. Not good..

Thanks for the reply. Overall the mill is in pretty good shape. The drain paths on the back if the table were pretty plugged up, so its definitely possible the rest is as well.

I just cant find any diagrams on the passage. So where its leaking to doesnt really make any sense to me.

Back