20" Heavy Greaves Klusman - Page 25
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    John I'm kinda lost here... What it it you are making?

Paolo nailed it

But to clarify, I am setting up to grind out of round and bell mouthed bore in the dead hard spool without the benefit of flood coolant. The vac attach effort is an attempt to both cool process and have some control over the mess - which does not need to be all over Jig Bore.

The bore incidentally fits on the large central journal of the new input shaft - which was made oversize for the purpose

2. Likes swatkins, Paolo_MD, Monarchist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting there on Jig Grind set-up

Thought I'd better show this before covering it up with my wheel dressing rig

Losing the camera for a week - stay tuned
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000680sm.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Some progress on dressing set up for jig grinding attachment. Looks great but did not get to use it as Precise died and I bored and honed this spool

I see some typos in captioning - pretend they are not there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000689sm.jpg   p1000690sm.jpg   p1000691sm.jpg   p1000693sm.jpg  

5. Likes Monarchist, swatkins, Peter S, Paolo_MD, 4GSR and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Headed Towards Honing Clutch Spool Bore

Coming right along.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000695sm.jpg   p1000696sm.jpg   p1000699sm.jpg  

7. Likes RustySparks, sfriedberg, Paolo_MD, Peter S liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like the cooler weather has you in the mood to make things

9. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Grinding Thin Woodruff Cutter Thinner Without Turning Blue

Flood coolant helped.

Spin index up on blocks, going to town on B&S #4 Universal

Part of the milling on the Superior Hone mandrel is a thin slot that engages a tab on the mounted stone - I suppose to limit stone's ability to twist and bind up in mandrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000700sm.jpg   p1000701sm.jpg   p1000703sm.jpg  

11. Likes Peter S, swatkins, pressbrake1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Home Grown Honing Mandrel Did Good

Got this percolating today
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000705sm.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks great. Not familiar with this type of hone.
    Does it float a bit?
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    Looks great. Not familiar with this type of hone.
    Does it float a bit?
    John
    Not that you would notice. I suppose the part was intended to float a bit. Have to admit I have never been around a Superior Hone in use until today, so have no idea of how they were applied

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, why do you have to hone it after Jig grinding it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Shop View Post
    John, why do you have to hone it after Jig grinding it?

Post #483 says

Looks great but did not get to use it as Precise died and I bored and honed this spool

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool Weather For It

A little progress on the head stock leg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000706cropa.jpg   p1000707cropa.jpg   p1000708cropa.jpg   p1000708cropb.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unusual Set Up

Worked good - steady of course feeds along with carriage
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1000717sm.jpg   p1000718sm.jpg   p1000720sm.jpg  

19. Likes sfriedberg, RustySparks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, it took me a couple of readings to realize that you were line boring the steady rest (jaws), not demonstrating the use of a steady rest in line boring. I think?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sfriedberg View Post
    John, it took me a couple of readings to realize that you were line boring the steady rest (jaws), not demonstrating the use of a steady rest in line boring. I think?
    Yep - instead of wondering where they (the arms/jaws) were 40" out from chuck, just make them perfect by line boring (same bar used in the mill to fix the apron years ago)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent several hours absorbing as much of this thread as I could last night. You work shows the ability to approach each problem with a jig or tool if needed to do the job. It's becoming a rare talent due to CNC. Building a jig usually uses a lot more time than the machining does on the part but your time spent is rewarded with the finish product. Today's labor cost don't usually allow work like your doing but I know why you do it. You are now being rewarded for all those years of the grind by now being able to work on your terms. I don't know , you may have always had that option. A good setup is time well spent. My gramps taught me that in working with him as a kid. I hope you are enjoying the lathe. You earned it because it's evident it's something you live for. My old Cincy has the middle leg damaged like that. I think somtimes that happens when they miss a mounting bolt or the grout hangs on when lifting it. Mine still had some concrete grout hanging on it. Or a drop damage. Sorry: My paragraphs and spacing are jamming all together when I post. Don't know what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for kind comments. The doing is enjoyable, but the thinking / planning is what keeps the 78 year old gray matter percolating

Quote Originally Posted by mllud22 View Post
    I spent several hours absorbing as much of this thread as I could last night. You work shows the ability to approach each problem with a jig or tool if needed to do the job. It's becoming a rare talent due to CNC. Building a jig usually uses a lot more time than the machining does on the part but your time spent is rewarded with the finish product. Today's labor cost don't usually allow work like your doing but I know why you do it. You are now being rewarded for all those years of the grind by now being able to work on your terms. I don't know , you may have always had that option. A good setup is time well spent. My gramps taught me that in working with him as a kid. I hope you are enjoying the lathe. You earned it because it's evident it's something you live for. My old Cincy has the middle leg damaged like that. I think somtimes that happens when they miss a mounting bolt or the grout hangs on when lifting it. Mine still had some concrete grout hanging on it. Or a drop damage. Sorry: My paragraphs and spacing are jamming all together when I post. Don't know what's going on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent a couple of weeks reading this thread off and on. (Mostly because I wanted to savor the skill and craftsmanship detailed here.) I must say: great work, John! Your ability to build jigs for every situation and the amount of thought you put into the efforts displayed is enjoyable to view. Any updates lately?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonMag View Post
    I spent a couple of weeks reading this thread off and on. (Mostly because I wanted to savor the skill and craftsmanship detailed here.) I must say: great work, John! Your ability to build jigs for every situation and the amount of thought you put into the efforts displayed is enjoyable to view. Any updates lately?

Age (80 come the new year) and heat (first cool days of "fall" finally dragging in now) slows things down to a crawl, but still getting a little OD grinding done on tooling to support head stock during initial rework. Summer inactivity just turns one into a weakling as far as handling things like 80 LB shafts

Thanks for kind comments

26. Likes 4GSR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Head stock "mandrel" in place - its about 40" long and the largest diameter is 3.125"

B&S grinder did good

Idea is to support this mandrel near the ends on the Jig Bore table so I can work from some fairly decent area (the pair of bores far from all the weld repair distortion) to reestablish the vee way by tilting the head stock at 45 degrees

"Internal Cat Head" with its four "jaw" screws steadies up that end with the off center 6 1/8" bore (cap not installed here)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191208_154600.jpg   20191208_154543.jpg   20191208_154600crop.jpg  
    Last edited by johnoder; 12-08-2019 at 07:27 PM.

28. Likes Paolo_MD, mister honey, RustySparks, 4GSR liked this post