What's new
What's new

200,000+ lb heavy

Mad Machinist

Cast Iron
I don't have time to post here much any more but taking a break from some wiring and thought I'd post some pics of the ongoing project. 72" x 72" x 42' Ingersoll.
I might get it running before I die.

Attachments

• Foundation hole.JPG
    Foundation hole.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 350
  • Rebar.jpg
    Rebar.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Electrical.jpg
    Electrical.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 360
  • Top Brace (Copy).JPG
    Top Brace (Copy).JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Coming together.jpg
    Coming together.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 358
2 50 HP head Planer Mill. It was put in new at Fairbanks Morse diesel locomotive engine plant in 1967. Then in went to Monarch Lathe in Sideny Ohio. A guy in Mi bought it and never put it in. I moved it in 2005 and am still working on it. Monarch really treated it badly. Some ot the things they did are hard to believe for a machine tool builder. They must have been out of money and not cared at the end.

Attachments

• P1010973.jpg
    P1010973.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 294
Oh, wonderful! If you get it fixed up, this will be one of those machines where you need a crew of guys with pushbrooms shoving 4oz chips off the work, and the brooms will be on fire.

2 50 HP head Planer Mill. It was put in new at Fairbanks Morse diesel locomotive engine plant in 1967. Then in went to Monarch Lathe in Sideny Ohio. A guy in Mi bought it and never put it in. I moved it in 2005 and am still working on it. Monarch really treated it badly. Some ot the things they did are hard to believe for a machine tool builder. They must have been out of money and not cared at the end.

Excellent. :drool5:

Since F-M built their last new locomotive around 1963, I wonder what they used it for?

Got lots of big work lined up? What are you going to do with it? (Besides about anything :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent. :drool5:

Since F-M built their last new locomotive around 1963, I wonder what they used it for?

Good question. I'm not a locomotive guy. That's the only thing we could think they would have used it for. GE had one same vintage in Erie PA but it had 2 150 HP motors. I know that's where it went new, I have the documents from Ingersoll. I'd love to know what it was for now.

Attachments

• Ingersoll Document.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 58
F-M continued to build opposed piston diesel prime movers at Beloit both before and long after locomotive production ended (and still does today, I think), so maybe the planer was used for finishing the large weldments that make up the crankcase?

I don't know when (or if?) General Electric began machining the FDL prime movers at Erie - these originated from Cooper-Bessemer in Grove City, PA - but perhaps by the late '60s they were doing the same sort of engine work at Erie as F-M was doing at Beloit.

Back