200,000+ lb heavy
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 200,000+ lb heavy

I don't have time to post here much any more but taking a break from some wiring and thought I'd post some pics of the ongoing project. 72" x 72" x 42' Ingersoll.
    I might get it running before I die.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foundation-hole.jpg   rebar.jpg   coming-together.jpg   electrical.jpg   top-brace-copy-.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Planer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2 50 HP head Planer Mill. It was put in new at Fairbanks Morse diesel locomotive engine plant in 1967. Then in went to Monarch Lathe in Sideny Ohio. A guy in Mi bought it and never put it in. I moved it in 2005 and am still working on it. Monarch really treated it badly. Some ot the things they did are hard to believe for a machine tool builder. They must have been out of money and not cared at the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1010973.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WOW! That thing is crazy big, I'm glad there are people like you, they make me look sane!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh, wonderful! If you get it fixed up, this will be one of those machines where you need a crew of guys with pushbrooms shoving 4oz chips off the work, and the brooms will be on fire.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Machinist View Post
    2 50 HP head Planer Mill. It was put in new at Fairbanks Morse diesel locomotive engine plant in 1967. Then in went to Monarch Lathe in Sideny Ohio. A guy in Mi bought it and never put it in. I moved it in 2005 and am still working on it. Monarch really treated it badly. Some ot the things they did are hard to believe for a machine tool builder. They must have been out of money and not cared at the end.
    Excellent.

Since F-M built their last new locomotive around 1963, I wonder what they used it for?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got lots of big work lined up? What are you going to do with it? (Besides about anything )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood1968 View Post
    Excellent.

Since F-M built their last new locomotive around 1963, I wonder what they used it for?

Good question. I'm not a locomotive guy. That's the only thing we could think they would have used it for. GE had one same vintage in Erie PA but it had 2 150 HP motors. I know that's where it went new, I have the documents from Ingersoll. I'd love to know what it was for now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

F-M continued to build opposed piston diesel prime movers at Beloit both before and long after locomotive production ended (and still does today, I think), so maybe the planer was used for finishing the large weldments that make up the crankcase?

I don't know when (or if?) General Electric began machining the FDL prime movers at Erie - these originated from Cooper-Bessemer in Grove City, PA - but perhaps by the late '60s they were doing the same sort of engine work at Erie as F-M was doing at Beloit.