What's new
What's new

#3 Dial type horizontal lost oil pressure

bgmnn1

Aluminum
The #3 dial type horizontal mill had no hydraulic oil pressure when I powered it up today.
Most manuals online seem to be a different vintage.

Machine serial #B5506-30.

I am looking for information to troubleshoot and make the repairs.

Regards,

Mike

Thanks for the information.

The information from the online manuals say there is a cover under the overarm. Under the cover is a pressure adjustment/check valve.. wondering if this is of similar construction. I have moved the overarm full forward with the crank, didn't see the cover.. will have to support it to move forward, nearly remove from the machine...to see more underneath.
Asking for advice before doing so..

M-786-2 is old but may help. It talks about removing cover, and it is apparent this cover is adjacent starting lever - whose bushing has the pressure adjusting screw side ways in same. Thumbnails are scans of these two pages, but who knows if your machine is the same

Can email larger res versions if they look useful - if you want to private message an address

Attachments

• Adjust Oil Pressure A.jpg
    Adjust Oil Pressure A.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 121
  • Adjust Oil Pressure B.jpg
    Adjust Oil Pressure B.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 67
Thanks again.

I will have to rig the overarm to move it any further forward than the pinion/handle will move it... heavy casting..

Look under the over arm dove tail for a number, a tag, right face of the table. If it has aplate it will be about hald way in the dove tail from front to back. Picture would help. !

C Mike

The #3 dial type horizontal mill had no hydraulic oil pressure when I powered it up today.
Most manuals online seem to be a different vintage.

Machine serial #B5506-30.

I am looking for information to troubleshoot and make the repairs.

Regards,

Mike

Can you post a picture of the mill. Look under the dove tail and see if there is a number there.

C Mike

I know John, Trying to fine some thing that is close. I am thinking that Cincinnati may have not bought in to the company until the 70's.Early England 1.jpg

Thumbnail is the Serial Book page showing the B serials under dial type

Add crop

Attachments

• Cinc UK Serials Page.jpg
    Cinc UK Serials Page.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 47
  • Cinc UK Serials Page Crop.jpg
    Cinc UK Serials Page Crop.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 50
John, you have a book I don't have. I have a lot of stuff but that one is a good one to have.

It was published for the used machine industry and there are a number of editions. Mine is 1976. Full title is Serial Number Reference Book for Metalworking Machinery

All the time I was at Cincinnati, no one ever told when Cincinnati went to England. In the 70's and 80's the 2 MK's, powermatic's, and the dial types came from England. They were made cheaper and the quality was no as good. They seem to not know what a file was. Working on them, you would be bleeding soon. No edges filed. Some gears were soft, and roll over, some were too hard and shatter. The 2mk was a fair tool room type machine, but a lot of customers use they as production. One company had 22 of them. They made the copper tips for spot welding.

Years ago Every now and then we would have to go to a company Called Sifco in Mpls who had several Cinc.Mills and replaced a nylon tube (from factory) that went from the pump because it would burst or crack and loose pressure. We finally replaced it with a steel tube that fixed it. I'm not sure that you issue, but worth checking if you open it up.

C Mike

Years ago Every now and then we would have to go to a company Called Sifco in Mpls who had several Cinc.Mills and replaced a nylon tube (from factory) that went from the pump because it would burst or crack and loose pressure. We finally replaced it with a steel tube that fixed it. I'm not sure that you issue, but worth checking if you open it up.
Cincinnati did put plastic line in their machine. One goes from the spindle servo valve to the Spindle and brake mainifold. It runs from the servo up to the front of the shaft that has spindle clutches and brake clutches. The reason may have been where it had to run too. This shaft runs in line with the pulley bracket.

C Mike

early england 2.jpgearly english 3.jpgForgot to ask, you do have enough oil in the column ? here is a couple of pages that might help you. Maybe its close to your machine.

Cincinnati did put plastic line in their machine. One goes from the spindle servo valve to the Spindle and brake mainifold. It runs from the servo up to the front of the shaft that has spindle clutches and brake clutches. The reason may have been where it had to run too. This shaft runs in line with the pulley bracket.
I am waiting for aparts manual for this machine, only manual available per provider,[email protected].
Meanwhile, I have purchased manuals for the OM model, hoping for enough similarity to solve the problem.
Proceeding with the adjusting column hydraulic pressure procedure, I discovered the oil supply line to the starting lever bushing loose. Oil is pumping, no pressure. Hopefully the other end is simply loose as well. I can't see the other end of this line looking thru the opening in the top of the column. Also I see the pulley bracket had been removed and sealed with silicone, prior to my purchase of the machine.
It looks as if the next step is to go into it. Waiting for the English manual to arrive first.

Back