What's new
What's new

3CH Auxiliary shaft size.

Hobby Shop

Stainless
Does anyone know what the diameter of a 3CH auxiliary shaft is? The 3H, 3CH and the 310CH use the same shaft.

Thanks,
Andy

Hobby shop
I have a 3CH. I have not touched this machine since I moved it home. Guide me to the auxiliary shaft you need measured. . I'm not familiar with this mill. I got it after it had caught weather. I plan to disassemble and restore if I live long enough

Hobby shop
I have a 3CH. I have not touched this machine since I moved it home. Guide me to the auxiliary shaft you need measured. . I'm not familiar with this mill. I got it after it had caught weather. I plan to disassemble and restore if I live long enough

I’d really appreciate it. :D It’s the (6) spline shaft that drives the Low Lead gear box from the center of the table. When looking at the end of the table(right side), there’s a shaft that runs the entire length......just to the left of the lead screw. There’s a gear sticking out that goes into the low lead. It looks just like this one but 2x longer and bigger in dia.
I had to extend the splines on this 1HL aux. shaft to make it work on my 2CHL. The aux. shaft pulls right out once the LL is taken off.

I’m thinking it’s 1-1/8” OD but I’m just guessing.
Andy

Attachments

• DBF7ADFE-9FD9-4DEB-BB35-CCCFECB67F65.jpg
    DBF7ADFE-9FD9-4DEB-BB35-CCCFECB67F65.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 93
20190219_104450.jpg

The shaft is out of mine but the 1 1/16 (6 splined) hole is there
I used a devider to get in there to get the distance across.. I got 1.06 measurement. As close to 1.0625 as It could be.

So what is missing on mine besides the shaft
I see somthing laying inside that hole. I need to check that out.
Serial no. 26-7113
Number 26 of 35. Built may 1953

I found it in the parts book. As you said it drives the lower lead box and that drives other attachments.

View attachment 250163

The shaft is out of mine but the 1 1/16 (6 splined) hole is there
I used a devider to get in there to get the distance across.. I got 1.06 measurement. As close to 1.0625 as It could be.

So what is missing on mine besides the shaft
I see somthing laying inside that hole. I need to check that out.
Serial no. 26-7113
Number 26 of 35. Built may 1953

Thanks for looking at that for me. I’ll cut a spline on a small piece of 1-1/16” shaft and see how it fits.

Thanks for looking at that for me. I’ll cut a spline on a small piece of 1-1/16” shaft and see how it fits.

It's to bad the shaft wasn't in mine to get a more accurate measurment to eliminate any doubt. Another time when not having a telescoping gauge set made things difficult.
That's a hard area to get into to get a measurment. .
Like your assessment I think its 1 1/16 but you need an exact before you invest time and money building a shaft.
Your plan to make a small test shaft to test fit is a good idea.
I'm always needing inside diameter measurements and they are hard to get. A telescoping gauge set is going on my want list. It makes it so easy and accurate.
Let us see your shaft build when you get it done.
Edit: a piece of 1/8x 1 1/16 bar stock to slide in across opposing spline ways could get your measurment.

My take on this is that there is a story behind the missing shaft. The
shaft did not fall out, it was removed and not put back for a reason.
There may be something wrong in the gearbox that required leaving the shaft
out. Making another shaft without investigating the rest of the mechanism
my get you nothing.

Pete.

My take on this is that there is a story behind the missing shaft. The
shaft did not fall out, it was removed and not put back for a reason.
There may be something wrong in the gearbox that required leaving the shaft
out. Making another shaft without investigating the rest of the mechanism
my get you nothing.

Pete.

The shaft is a auxiliary drive shaft. Depending on what accessories the mill was ordered with may determine weather the shaft was ever there. John O or other Kearney trecker experts may know the answer better. The shaft can be removed fairly easily. The shaft is missing on mine also.
I believe (Hobby Shops) mill is a running mill. Mine ran good before being sat outside for a sale and the buyer never came to get it. That doesn't mean there couldn't be damage in the drive for the shaft. It looks to be easily accesable.
Mr CNC guy your point is a good one. Something to investigate.

The auxiliary shaft was included in the low lead kit I bought for my 2hl universal several years ago from ebay when you could still buy stuff there without mortgaging your home... My 2hl had the drive gear in place, as most horizontals of that style do, but as it was ordered with no low lead or rotab drive, there was no auxiliary shaft....I posted a manual on VM which shows the part numbers of the auxiliary shafts but naturally no dimensions as K&T did not want you to be able to make your own...I had to machine a shaft for the rotab drive of my 2d tool and die mill as well when I found a rotab drive for it on ebay.. It can be done as long as you can determine dimensions.. Ramsay 1:)

My machine works like it should, it’s missing the aux. shaft and 8p table drive gear. I have the LL with all the change gears, worms/wheels, Model “K” DH with Astronomical divider and 16” RT for the 3CH.

Its always something :willy_nilly: I need the 3CH together so I can make the worms/wheels and hobs for my 2CHL low lead. I should have something to update in the old thread pretty soon. Getting the shop up and running has taken a lot longer than I could’ve imagined.

Andy

My machine works like it should, it’s missing the aux. shaft and 8p table drive gear. I have the LL with all the change gears, worms/wheels, Model “K” DH with Astronomical divider and 16” RT for the 3CH.

Its always something :willy_nilly: I need the 3CH together so I can make the worms/wheels and hobs for my 2CHL low lead. I should have something to update in the old thread pretty soon. Getting the shop up and running has taken a lot longer than I could’ve imagined.

Andy

Yes, Andy.... Usually if you find a lead attachment of either kind, gears are missing.. Seems gears are always missing from Kearney and Trecker attachments.. That is why I jumped on the deal for the LL for my 2hl.. It had every spur gear, each of the three worm sets were there as well...All that was missing was the trip shaft and I made that one....Good luck and keep us posted! Ramsay 1:)

I was going to say its likely the exact same size in a 2K / 2CK - if someone had one of those to eyeball. I am supposing 3H machines had some of the same pieces as 2K machines - since they shared some major parts

I was going to say its likely the exact same size in a 2K / 2CK - if someone had one of those to eyeball. I am supposing 3H machines had some of the same pieces as 2K machines - since they shared some major parts

You’re spot on John. I forgot the 3H/3CH Low Lead fits the 2K also. I looked it up in the book Ramsay1 put on VM :D The LL end is the same but the table length is different.

I remember someone having a right angle drive bracket and aux. shaft for his 2K. Maybe he can take a few measurements of the shaft & gear. I’ll try finding the thread and send him a PM.

edit: I sent a pm to the guy with the 2K.

You’re spot on John. I forgot the 3H/3CH Low Lead fits the 2K also. I looked it up in the book Ramsay1 put on VM :D The LL end is the same but the table length is different.

I remember someone having a right angle drive bracket and aux. shaft for his 2K. Maybe he can take a few measurements of the shaft & gear. I’ll try finding the thread and send him a PM.

edit: I sent a pm to the guy with the 2K.

If you look here on page 32, you can see which part number auxiliary shaft fits which unit.. Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Workholding Attachments and Accessories - Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

Ramsay 1:)

If you look here on page 32, you can see which part number auxiliary shaft fits which unit.. Kearney & Trecker Co. - Publication Reprints - Workholding Attachments and Accessories - Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

Ramsay 1:)

That was the book I referenced when I made the post. I’m thinking the only difference between the 2K and 3H aux. shaft if the length, the 2K being longer because of the table. The gear end should be the same because the same LL fits a 2K & 3H.

I did some checking. A standard 1-1/8 (6) spline shaft has a minior diameter of .955”/956”. I turned a piece .955” and it went right in. I flipped it over and made the other end .975”....no go. I took .005” off at a time until it fit. .961” went in with a push.

I’ll make a stub 1-1/8” to check the splines before I order the material. Does 1045 sound like the right material for this shaft?
If it is, I’ll grab a stick of turned[FONT=&quot] ground & polished and get busy. [/FONT]

Stress Proof 1144 would machine nicely:)

I did some checking. A standard 1-1/8 (6) spline shaft has a minior diameter of .955”/956”. I turned a piece .955” and it went right in. I flipped it over and made the other end .975”....no go. I took .005” off at a time until it fit. .961” went in with a push.

I’ll make a stub 1-1/8” to check the splines before I order the material. Does 1045 sound like the right material for this shaft?
If it is, I’ll grab a stick of turned ground & polished and get busy.

If it is, I’ll grab a stick of turned[FONT="] ground & polished and get busy. [/FONT]

Once you find the major diameter, then you have to find the total length.. Shaft has to be splined the total length as I recall.. I have cut spline shafts using involute cutters.. Work pretty well I have found.. I cut a spline shaft for the rotab drive of my 2d tool and die mill in this manner.. Ramsay 1:)

Back