What's new
What's new

American lathe

gear cutter

Cast Iron
I got this lathe at a really good price, it's been in storage for a year. I finally got the funds and time to get it set up. So it was delivered and unloaded today. It will be set in place this Saturday so I don't disturb normal work too much. The tag on the side of the headstock reads American Tool Works Co. 48" Does anyone have any information on these? I've never seen one before. I'll try and get some more pictures when I get it moved into location.

Attachments

• American lathe 1.jpg
    American lathe 1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 549
  • American lathe 2.jpg
    American lathe 2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 546
  • American lathe 3.jpg
    American lathe 3.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 562
  • American lathe 5.jpg
    American lathe 5.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 601
  • American lathe 4.jpg
    American lathe 4.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 703
Boy, that's a hunk of iron. It would be a blast to run.

American is an old nameplate, most famous for the "Pacemaker" lathes. I think they are supported by Bourn and Koch in Illinois. (I might have misspelled the name)

I don't see a bridge crane. ;)

Might be mistaken, but looks like the lead screw has a key slot which would indicate that this boy has no separate feed rod...
Seems funny for a machine in that size range.
Maybe its older than it looks.....
Cheers Ross

American Tool Works Co. 48" Does anyone have any information on these?

Only that they are a YOUNG man's tasking. Tend to inspire a good deal of water-loss in an 8-hour shift. It will have "rapids". You will need them.

Ever I'd have had the blessing of an ATW instead of comparable sized and much OLDER Niles, I'd probably have expected to have to carry knee-pads to work to pay-off the favour!

You'll also want overhead tackle for tooling swaps.

The good news is that a 4-J / Faceplate combo doesn't ordinarily ever come off the spindle for the service life of the machine unless it has gotten too badly trashed to repair on-machine, though.

These were golden for turning journals at opposite ends of crank arms, boring bearing fits in large end-bells, boring gear cases and such up close to the chuck/faceplate, and for managing long, heavy shafts and - if tight enough - hydraulics of all sorts.

You wanted a "collet runner", you bought a fair-sized Warner & Swasey.

:)

Thanks to Greg Menke - though this may be "newer" than what you have there

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com...oductive-lathe-48in-bulletin-96-nodate-si.pdf

Serial will be right end, stamped into machined cast iron FRONT VERTICAL FACE OF FRONT WAY - if you would like it dated

4-J / Faceplate combo doesn't ordinarily ever come off the spindle for the service life of the machine

Because the internally geared face plate was part of the drive for the several granny speeds

ATW had plenty of experience building such as per this 1915 scan

Attachments

• ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Big Lathe man. Having that size will allow big work many can not do due to limited size of the lathe being much smaller.

NICE . where's the motor?

is that a lineshaft machine? or is some parts missing from the photo?

Access to drive from a lineshaft was possible for those who still ran such.

Motor was separate, either top mount or back pedestal, low-down. The brochure John linked shows both, but is still flat-belt drive for either. This one has the later multi-row Vee belts.

UNfortunately, these look too wide to be "A" section, which are inherently matched, being made to a very tight spec.

"B" section and larger must be special-ordered matched. On DoD's lowest-bidder plan, they were not very well matched (Air Products A2 LOX plant, 100 HP 416 VAC Wye motor) accordingly had very short lives. False economy? I did say DoD, yah?

A? I suspect those are D belts. If you don't have the belts, I'll wager the cost of new belts will exceed the purchase price of the entire lathe for over half of PM's viewership.

Looks like a fun machine.

Now that is a lathe!!! What horsepower to run that machine??? You obviously have the work for it so future pics (videos) are in order when running.

That's one of my questions. Originally this was a D.C. drive. I imagine the drive went out and they installed a 30 HP motor. I think it should be a 50 HP so that is what I intend to use.

A? I suspect those are D belts. If you don't have the belts, I'll wager the cost of new belts will exceed the purchase price of the entire lathe for over half of PM's viewership.

Looks like a fun machine.

Could was. Not an ATW mavin here.

Vee belts, OTOH, would "work" even if designed for "A" section (circa 5 HP each, load-meter buried) and not need to be any more than "B" for the row-count and generous wrap-run @ 40 HP "max" and sub 200 RPM spindle speed that was in effect the brochure John linked.

Present-day costs, however, are indeed "non-trivial" anything greater than "A" and matched.

If I had to run it? I'd back-convert to flat belting that I could DIY in arbitrary-wide and affordable material. I'd make a "steel tire" of heavy-wall tubing or rolled and welded plate to put right OVER those Vee sheaves. Same again at the motor.

Lathes this size, steam rail and big mills long gone, deep mining minimized, tend to spend much of their remaining lives laid-up silently in ambush .. waiting ...for those big jobs that pay well, but just doen't show up every day of the week. Nor even every month of a given year.

Galis' six-footer ate but once a year or so. Mind, bugger was built in the 1880's, so by the 1960's it no longer OWED anybody a dime. Just had to justify the floor space. And it surely did that, given how few other shops had the ability to put a 100 ton crane's whole base carriage up on the machine to turn the turret-ring for a new Timken!

NICE . where's the motor?

is that a lineshaft machine? or is some parts missing from the photo?

I had to remove the motor base for transport. It mounts lower on the rear of the machine. I wish it was a top mounted motor. That would save a little space.

The shop I work in has two of those, much shorter bed that are set up to peen and then machine small turbine shrouds.

That's a BEASTLY lathe.

Last edited:

Back