What's new
What's new

American Lathe Oil Pump Problem

adh2000

Titanium
c9b9a6a1d2c84b545080da2c79780501.jpg

No flow in the sight glass under the word American. Oil level is good as evidenced by the oil level tube lower on the head. I thought maybe the filter was plugged so pulled that. Nope. Filter is dry. Running the lathe with the filter removed no oil at the filter. So am thinking the pump isn’t turning or the pickup tube is plugged or has fallen off. Anyone been in the head of one of these lathes? Where is the pump located? Not really seeing access panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlier Pacemaker just says "A reversing type, packless pump driven by the initial drive shaft". In other words - probably at the opposite end from the clutch and input sheave

Anyone been in the head of one of these lathes? Where is the pump located? Not really seeing access panels.
The top casting comes off the headstock easy. Underneath that is like a distribution plate with holes in it that drip onto bearings and gears. If you ease the clutch lever on with that top casting off, there will be oil everywhere ... or should be. I've forgotten where the pump lives but there's manuals available at that tonys uk lathe site or elsewhere. The "filter" handle is just one of those cylindrical screens with a scraper things that elderly machines used to have, there's no real filter.

Be sure oil level sight tube is not stained giving the false impression that oil level is correct.
If this was recently hooked up to power check for proper motor direction.
No oil will be supplied if direction is wrong.
John

70350692733bad454e698c74d6e513b4.jpg

Thanks guys. The oil pump is in that location so that’s helpful. I can see it through a panel on top of the head. Way down in there past a bunch of gears and shafts. There’s an access panel behind the spindle. Open that and I can see the end of the oil pump.
cecbd98592e11345e74cbee46d0c9e08.jpg

For EG yes it does have a filter.

The pump and the opening in the casting are as shown in the drawing. The pump won’t fit through the opening. Why did they bother with this small access viewport? Anyway, now what?

For EG yes it does have a filter.
You've got the newer, squarey-style one.

I'm jealous as hell :(

Anyway, now what?
Know anyone with really long skinny arms ?

Can you get to the other end to spin it, see if it pumps anything ? With the lid off, if you engage the clutch you should see oil spewing like a Texas gusher. If I remember right (no guarantees) the pump only pumps when the spindle is turning.

p.s. Had to remove an ad-blocking rule to see your photos, sorry for the bad assumption earlier. Think they are pretty much the same inside though, they mostly made the castings look groovier. And the feed arrangement is a little nicer ... and the tailstock ... and the ways are hard ... good thing I'm too old to want one or I'd feel really bad :)

The oil filter screws onto a flange held to the back of the head by six cap screws. Removed the flange, flange has a ball check valve in it. Ran the machine with the flange removed for a minute and oil started gushing out all over the place. Put the flange and oil filter back on and we’re all good, oil flowing all around. I know this machine sat for years and years and years. Maybe the pump was so dry it couldn’t prime working against the check valve spring. Really I don’t know. I’m so glad it’s working and I don’t have to pull the head apart. It’s a happy day.

Back