What's new
What's new

American Pace Maker Spindle Brake

gmach10

Hot Rolled
I recently replaced a the clutch and brake discs on a 1957 Pace Maker. They had the respective 60 + years of wear that was expected. This isn't a production machine, it's in a maintenance shop. Problem is in order for the spindle brake to full apply you still need to push the clutch lever with a little too much force to stop. The proper number of drive and driven discs were installed in their respective locations. Is there any other adjustments that I'm missing?

I recently replaced a the clutch and brake discs on a 1957 Pace Maker. They had the respective 60 + years of wear that was expected. This isn't a production machine, it's in a maintenance shop. Problem is in order for the spindle brake to full apply you still need to push the clutch lever with a little too much force to stop. The proper number of drive and driven discs were installed in their respective locations. Is there any other adjustments that I'm missing?

According to this "Introduction Book", bulletin. The spindle brake is supposed to be self adjusting, but the clutch can be adjusted:
American Tool Works Co. - Publication Reprints - Introduction Book, "American" Lathes (Bulletin 117-A) | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf here, page 7:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1004/7211.pdf

456.jpg

Back