What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker follow rest?

Forrest Silas

Aluminum
Does anyone know if a follow rest was offered for pacemakers? I've looked through all the manuals that I've found online and can't find any reference to one. If it exist I'd love to see a picture to get some ideas on how to fabricate one. I'm thinking maybe mount it to the cross slide ways like Monarch did. There are no holes on the front of the carriage where I'm used to seeing follow rest mounted, and I'm not drilling any.

I have a follow rest for my square head American, it looks the same as the picture in the brochure. Both my square head and my Pacemaker have the holes drilled and tapped in the locations shown in the brochure. I am pretty sure the follow rest fits the Pacemaker also, but I haven’t gotten around to trying. My Pacemaker is a 1955 and my square head is a 1967. Both are Type B.

Thanks for the link kirt, there were some good ideas there. I spent 2 hours reading through that thread. I have a follow rest from a smaller lathe, that I'm trying to figure out a way to adapt without drilling any holes.

Blackrainstorm, my pacemaker is a 1953 16 x 78. It was in a college most of its life before I got it, and it's in pristine condition. I think they were scared of it and rarely used it.

My 1946 16x102 pacemaker doesn't have any mounting holes in the saddle either. I had been looking into adapting the follow rest from my Reed Prentice 16" swing.

Boy! There is nothing light about that follower rest, just like the rest of the lathe.

I vaguely remember seeing one in operation on a fairly large American Pacemaker way back in my early teens where my dad worked at. The machinists was making a cross feed screw for I assume a replacement screw on a lathe they were rebuilding for the company back then. Screw was about 1" in diameter and about two foot long. Just so cool watching him chase that thread on such a large lathe using that follower rest. I'm guessing a 25" model. I know it wasn't smaller than that. Always wondered what happen to that place and the lathe. All of that stuff sold off in the mid 1980's. Ken

Back