What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker info needed

Cole2534

Diamond
Guy local to me is selling a 16x54 Pacemaker, ser CO RN 6193. 10hp, 2000rpm, D1-? spindle...

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Programmed via Mazatrol

Guy local to me is selling a 16x54 Pacemaker, ser CO RN 6193. 10hp, 2000rpm, D1-? spindle...

Does this ring a bell with anyone?
He cut off the last two digits on the serial number. Those tell you the year. Should be 6193-XX.

Year will tell you a whole bunch. 2000 sounds high for that serial but might be. D1 is nice, most are L's. 10 horse should be fifties or newer. Definitely sounds worth looking into.

I wasn't aware of any Pacemakers with cam lock spindle like D1-6, not to say they don't exist, i just didn't know of any. Would love a 16x54, i thought they were 1800rpm.

Yeah most are L1 spindle. Not that it's bad, it's just unusual in this day and age. They are amazing lathes, the cream of the crop. I'd pick one up no matter what you see, they are worth saving.

My 1946 14x54 has a 10 horse, two speed motor. Both D and L spindles were offered in the catalogs, but L seems to have been significantly more popular.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can tell the "small" from the "Big"

14 / 16 and light 20 were offered with 1000, 1500 and 2000

20 heavy was 800, 1200 and 1600 (and earlier there were also 18 and 22)

D1 on 2000 will be D1-6

Serial stamped on FRONT VERTICAL FACE of front way on right end

Like so

ATW Serial Location.jpg

You can look at tail end and SEE the hard ways if its modern enough to have them

Like so

ATW Hard Ways.jpg

Lots of stuff here thanks to Greg Menke - like Bulletin 16 and 17

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/index.html

have fun

For context, I paid $1000 for my 20” raised 6” x 48” and $1800 for my 22” x 120” pacemakers. In Wisconsin

But they are the most wonderful machines to run. Not a vibration in them.
I’m working on metric change gears for them.

Will my CXA work on it or should I be looking for a CA?

Programmed via Mazatrol

You need CA at least, you may want to think about a DA if you will be turning a lot of heavy stock. The larger tool holder allows for larger boring bars, one of benefits when boring large stock. There is a large increase in the cost of the holders to consider also. We run both types and are happy with both equally.

3K is a very good price if the condition is good. Since its local, that is about the same net cost as a free lathe 2,000 miles away.
I have a DA listed for sale if it comes to fruition.

Don't hold me to this, but as I remember they put the two-speed motors only in the smallest Pacemakers, and usually if they had the 9 or 18 speed gearboxes rather than the 27 speed box.
Mine is an 18 speed. I believe it had the two speed motor installed because it was ordered with a relieving attachment.

Will my CXA work on it or should I be looking for a CA?

Programmed via Mazatrol
I have a Dorian CXA on my 14". It works well for my use, but I'd want a CA if I was doing a lot of heavy work. I think it would definitely be too small for a 16" machine.

I went with the Dorian CXA specifically because its 1/4" taller than an Aloris CXA... the Aloris would definitely be borderline too small for my 14".

Back