What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker Restoration

Cmwrx

Plastic
I am looking for a reputable company or individual to restore 16*54 Pacemaker to as new condition.Any recommendations or info would be appreciated.

I am looking for a reputable company or individual to restore 16*54 Pacemaker to as new condition.Any recommendations or info would be appreciated.

First-ever post on PM? No location? You LOOK more like a swivel-chair clerical-error, and a rather careless one at that, than actual owner of an ATW!

WHERE TF are YOU, and where TF is the lathe?

Reykjavik, Iceland, Sevastopol, occupied Crimea, or Eibar, Spain might want different sources than North-central Ohio?

Pacemakers don't FIT no Medium Flat Rate Box if you had actually ever SEEN one and somehow MISSED that.

Link-exploitation Spam, OTOH, is eminently portable. Too much so, actually.

Wow.Thank you for welcome.I am aware of shipping logistics as well as potential cost of restoration.I have moved machine twice,most recently from Burlington North Carolina to Richmond Hill Georgia.I have had two responses on RFQ’s to restore machine,both were right at 25k.That machine will pay for itself again and then some at that price.Having not dealt with either company and given the estimated turnaround time I was hoping a member of this forum may have had a positive experience with a company and would offer a recommendation.Along with contributing absolutely nothing of any use to anyone your reply begs me to ask why one would join a group of like minded people seeking advice and input from others in the industry only to reply as you did.

Wow.Thank you for welcome.I am aware of shipping logistics as well as potential cost of restoration.I have moved machine twice,most recently from Burlington North Carolina to Richmond Hill Georgia.I have had two responses on RFQ’s to restore machine,both were right at 25k.That machine will pay for itself again and then some at that price.Having not dealt with either company and given the estimated turnaround time I was hoping a member of this forum may have had a positive experience with a company and would offer a recommendation.Along with contributing absolutely nothing of any use to anyone your reply begs me to ask why one would join a group of like minded people seeking advice and input from others in the industry only to reply as you did.

Now you tell us where the machine is, but you cannot yet even be bothered to read the rules and fill in a location?

Why would we have thought you were even a real person, not just one more annoying advert linky-salt scam? And/or NOT in some offshore location, even if you were not scam-spam?

PM gets queries from Greeks in Greece, Serbs in Serbia, Germans in Germany, Swedes in Sweden, Finns in Finland, Brits in Britain, Mexicans in Mexico, Frenchmen in France, Swiss in Switzerland, Romanians in Romania.. and a lot more. Just about anywhere on-planet, actually.

They all automagically INFORM us where they and their machines are located. Upper right corner.

And you come along not necessarily even grounded on Planet Earth and expect a match-up to a rebuilder?

Do we need to factor-in a Saturn Five to get a massive bedway grinder to the Space Station in Low Earth orbit? How about Luna? Mars, even?

Not entirely a joke. Folks right here on PM as actually make that very class of things "happen" as their shop's day job.

Wake up and bring a proper empty cup if you expect PM to furnish free coffee. It kinda stings when we have to pour it into your naked cupped hands.

QED

Surely that would be OUR fault, yah?

You better nail down your "rebuild" specifications a little tighter. $25K will buy you a beautiful paint job, but I wouldn't trust it much further. Until you specify exactly what you want done and the rebuilder examines the lathe, any estimate is just guesswork.

ISTR Monarch charged more than $25K to rebuild a 10EE.

You better nail down your "rebuild" specifications a little tighter. $25K will buy you a beautiful paint job, but I wouldn't trust it much further. Until you specify exactly what you want done and the rebuilder examines the lathe, any estimate is just guesswork.

ISTR Monarch charged more than $25K to rebuild a 10EE.

Aye. Sorting the bed and the bits that fit to it can probably be estimated pretty close to actual "from a distance".

The challenge to any sight-unseen, no-hands-on estimate is that these puppies happen to have more than one GEAR or one set of BEARINGS in them. A lot more than one.

Or so the funny papers claim.

Rebuilders can't afford to risk a sight-unseen no-hands quote unless they go high enough to cover their.. what is that critter? Oh, yeah. AT-RISK ECONOMIC ASS?

The sort of money involved, I'd expect to start off by paying up-front for them to parachute-in an expert by road or air to assess and evaluate the specific lathe. Two large should cover it, on average. Money spent, and wisely so for the greater probability a fair cost figure could be hit and held without later large cost over-runs, ELSE trade-offs, shortcuts, or specification cut-backs.

Whether I then spent any more to DO what they quoted or not, the second and separate challenge. It is not the same sort of exercise as shopping best price for a tankerload of #2 Diesel, spot market.

Sometimes one just cannot justify a rebuild. Downtime as well as money vs other options - contracting work out included, and high on most lists - when it is a business decision.

I've bought new cars, small farms, and modest suburban homes for less, and they sure as Hell were never done "sight unseen".

PM's free coffee is still hot. Mind yer hands.

Gahr in Cleveland does rebuilds, along with Mahr down the street.
Regrind the ways, rebuild the headstock, etc.

Might be better to "trade in" see what they have "ready to ship".

Thermite

Your greeting style is absolute horseshit. You must really crack yourself up. Just about the most unwelcoming and incessant troll on the forums.

Thermite

Your greeting style is absolute horseshit. You must really crack yourself up. Just about the most unwelcoming and incessant troll on the forums.

Borrowing one of his favorite phrases he uses when provoking other forum members, I suspect he stopped taking his meds.

Paolo

Back