What's new
What's new

any GORTON fans in here?

Yes. I have a P2-3 pantograph and a friend with a 9J with universal head and another with an 8 1/2 D. The 8 1/2D is very basic machine but I like it. It has such a small footprint, but gives some nice capabilities and high spindle speed. I've always liked the Mastermill series as well. Plus, homestate pride might be a factor...

All my pantographs are in need of either a tune up or complete rebuilding. I have 2 of the P1-2 models and 2 of the 3U models. Also have many parts but almost no belts.

My 2-30 was a real score and is used in production. I have all the original paperwork, specs, original invoice and all the books and sales stuff. The machine is the variable speed with powered drawbar, power feeds, 40 taper and original spray coolant system. It's in great shape and can really move metal.

Walter A.

Used to be. . . .

Used to be a Gorton fan.

My family has had three mills over the past 30 years, fine machines. Were all 9J mills, one with a 8-1/2D universal head, put any BP to shame!

Miss my 9J mill:bawling:

Ken S.

The best part about the Gorton mills is that they are dirt cheap. The worst part is that most have a B&S taper. Still, there is tooling available if you look real good. I'm fortunate that I found my 2-30 with the 40 taper. I even have the factory quick change.

The pantographs are really unusual in that you cannot hardly give the machines away but the copy and the tooling goes for a premium. I think I could buy a complete P1-2 for the cost of a couple of boxes of copy.

The tool grinders are also very expensive.

Does anyone know of a source other than Famco for the belts? I have several new belts but none for my machines.

Walter A.

I have two 1-22 Tracemasters...

Awesome to all of you. There are so many guys and businesses jumping on the bridgeport band wagon, and alot have never even heard of Gorton (or TREE-another favorite) What a loss.

I made the mistake of selling my forst mill to make room for my second. I bought a 9-J a while back off of eBay for $199. Cost me $400 to go get it though. Huge beefy drive unit.

BUt when I got my first 1-22 Tracemaster, circa 1970, and an Army Veteran, BUT I didn't have room for both, so I sold my 9-J. (been kicking myself ever since)I never have truly used the tracemaster to its potential, mostly as a manual mill. I paid $712 for it, $450 to go get it, and it has almost no wear. I have all the original papers. Cost the Army $20,000+! in 1970. It has spray mist, variable downfeed, Variable spindle speed, and Vernac III "glass scale" indicators. has a Gorton quick change collet chuck, uses Universal ZZ collets, and has a NMTB 40 Taper

My latest "tracemaster" wasn't originally a tracing mill, and was delivered as a Master mill, and converted using factory True trace parts, but insteadof the Hydaulic motor-to-belt-to-leadscrew setup of the Tracemaster, this one has straight Hydraulics. I paid $400 loaded and it was local, so it cost me breakfast to have a buddy pick it up. I have no tooling for this one. It has a NMTB 30 taper and I hope to luck into the same Gorton Quick change setup someday. Actually, while it isn't a machining topic, I plan on setting this mill to run my plasma cutter, bolting a machined arm to hold my torch over a water table and tracing a part with the tracer, cutting the part out. It'll work.

My buddy has a 3-U pantograph that he never uses. I will talk him out of it someday.

Any advice, tips, etc on anything Gorton, shoot.

I do little machining. Mainly cutting pockets for parts on my bumpers and offroad accessories, and various other parts for my in hous build Fabrication Machines. Thanks for responding

Anthony Padgett
Padgett Fabrcation, LLC

Last edited:
The best part about the Gorton mills is that they are dirt cheap. The worst part is that most have a B&S taper.
Walter A.

I am no Gorton expert, but I thought their own Gorton taper was the most prevalent among the older milling machines. I have known some with B&S 9 though like you say.

Sorry, never saw a Gorton proprietary taper on a mill. I also pulled out my original 2-30 specs as well as all the sales stuff and couldn't find any information on special tapers. Maybe older machines? Do you know what the specifications are?

In regards to spindle tapers on Gorton mills, I recently saw at least one on eBay with an R8 advertised. I'm wondering if the newest mills had that option or maybe the seller was just clueless? I also seem to remember a thread on the Gorton group page about someone wanting info on converting B&S to R8. Never ran across an outcome.....

Walter A.

Yes, I believe the Gorton taper was only for the first series of mills - 8D, 8 1/2D and the 9J. The later ones may have eliminated the Gorton taper. I don't have specs, but about half of it is a straight shank, then half is a steep taper, perhaps most similar to a smaller version of 30 taper. There were a few machines with their own taper at that time.

I had a 1-22 Mastermill that was as accurate and solid as anything in its class, variable speed with back gear ( 65 - 4600 RPM ), #30 NMTB taper, variable feeds on table and quill (Dyna Drive II). I am sorry it had to go but circumstanses prevailed! If I remember; Famco bought the Gorton line from Kearney and Trecker and still offers parts for some of their machines.
This is a shameless plug: I have the complete Gorton collet set up in the #30 NMTB taper with the ZZ collets mentioned above in 1/8" increments to 1" and the opperator and maintenance manuals for that machine if there is an interested individual.
Dan

Yes, I believe the Gorton taper was only for the first series of mills - 8D, 8 1/2D and the 9J. The later ones may have eliminated the Gorton taper. I don't have specs, but about half of it is a straight shank, then half is a steep taper, perhaps most similar to a smaller version of 30 taper. There were a few machines with their own taper at that time.

The gorton taper was only used on the 8D mill that I'm aware of. It was also used on the stylis of the 2d tracer on some of the mills and panographs too. If they showed up on the 8-1/2D and 9J mill, they had a adapter from 9 or 10 B & S to Gorton taper as I had on one of my 9J mills.
Still have that adapter and a set of collets and draw bar for 9J mill of any one is interested.
Ken S.

Last edited:
What about the R8 taper? Was that ever offered? I see there is one machine on eBay right now that has that as the spindle specs. Maybe just an error on the seller's part?

Walter A.

Hello Gentleman,

I was wondering what you all think a Gorton Brand Quick change NMTB 30 collet holder and 10 zz collets, in the metal organizer minus the wooden box... should cost. This Gentleman wants $300, but I think thats at best twice what I would expect to pay. I have bought a set before in another taper, and paid less than $100 on eBAy. I have sold that same set on eBay and it sold for less than that. Just thought I would get a second opinion, or more. God Bless

I had a 1-22 Mastermill that was as accurate and solid as anything in its class, variable speed with back gear ( 65 - 4600 RPM ), #30 NMTB taper, variable feeds on table and quill (Dyna Drive II). I am sorry it had to go but circumstanses prevailed! If I remember; Famco bought the Gorton line from Kearney and Trecker and still offers parts for some of their machines.
This is a shameless plug: I have the complete Gorton collet set up in the #30 NMTB taper with the ZZ collets mentioned above in 1/8" increments to 1" and the opperator and maintenance manuals for that machine if there is an interested individual.
Dan

Unless that is exactly what you need at this point in time... it's way too high.

Walter A.

Thats what I thought, and thanks for the conformation. It is exactly what I want, and would be more conveniant to have the same collet type between my two mills, but I can definately "get by" with a couple of endmill holders until I find another of these. God Bless

Anthony Padgett
Padgett Fabrication, LLC

IMG_0133.jpg

My 9-J Gorton.
--Doozer

I have a Gorton Mastermill I-22, it has a nmtb 40 taper and has the Gorton quick change set with it. Heafty machine for the foot print. it is for sale if there is any interest.
thank you
Joe

Back