What's new
What's new

Approximate Weight of 3K Vertical Milling Head

Ja_cain

Cast Iron
Just wondering if anyone might know the weight of this. I want to remove it to make stripping the paint on both the machine and head easier and just want to know if my cherry picker is up to th task all the way extended out. It says 1/2 ton. Thanks for any info.PXL_20211130_163513122.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Not sure on the exact weight of that head, but I have a 2k with universal head. 2 people can lift that head, I would probably put it at 200-250lbs. I can't imagine a 3k vertical head being that much more. You should be fine with a 1/2 ton hoist.

Thanks for the info guys. I just haven't had the time to look through the catalogs and figured someone would know off hand. I I might just rig one of these up buy sliding it over the picker to get a little extra extension until I can move it under the beam. Figure it should be ok and will probably ballast the other end with some weight too.PXL_20211129_184800684.jpgPXL_20211130_172144153.jpgPXL_20211129_200205607.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Personally, I wouldn't extend an engine hoist: it's already not very stable by itself, if you extend the arm, you risk tipping it on the side before you realize what is going on.

Do yourself a favor and buy/build a gantry: you are anyhow going to need it to mount/remove the head in the future and, likely, to put anything heavy on the table.

Paolo

We built simple swing arm jibs with chain falls above our larger mills.
There great for removing/installing the vertical heads, installing dividing heads and loading material onto the bed.

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 33

Back