What's new
What's new

axelson 16

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello Ive been offered a axelson 16. Being in England its rare though I imagine there may have been more left 50 years ago.
What are they like? The only lathe I have of a similar vintage(early forties) is a monarch 16x108 cw.
Screenshot_2018-10-22-18-56-59.jpg

I respect a lathe where the maker put a fine feed knob on the cross slide like on an OD grinder.

She looks like a heavy girl.

I saw that ,presume it will be war time. If you buy it /come to see it ,drop by ,it's not too far from me.

My poor old father has been suffering with strokes for the last five years giving almost dementia like confusion though still sharp in other ways.
He had a nasty stroke nearly two weeks ago and is now paralyzed down one side and vrty withdrawn.
Last night I showed him said lathe ,just talking like nothing is different.
He actually smiled and managed to say 'lovely machine get it' he hasn't spoken since.

I almost feel like I should buy it

Get it and take your dad to see it in action.;)
I have a monarch similar to yours and sometimes wish I had an Axleson in its place but that is just because they are a California company, I dont know if it is actually better than wartime monarch 16".

He actually smiled and managed to say 'lovely machine get it' he hasn't spoken since.

I almost feel like I should buy it

You should if you can do. I don't see how you can lose, moving it on, later. "They" have quit making that whole class of heavily-built manual's. It has the reputation for competing favourably with either/both/all of ATW, Lodge & Shipley, & Monarch for combining tough and accurate. Also said to be easy on the operator in use that many other heavy lathes.

Made in Californikyah BEFORE they discovered a s**t eatin' grin caused cancer, IOW.

:)

I have the miniature 4 ton 14x30 pocket Axelson. I have used many manual lathes and it is my favorite. Very rigid, very accurate and enough power to use every bit of that rigidity. The things I've taken apart to maintain have been designed with common sense and no cut corners. No taper pin BS like you find in many older us machines.

It went on ebay. I won said auction so just need to collect.
My poor old father took a serious turn for the worse and is on sedatives and morphine.
Kidney failure as well.
Its funny how his last words were to tell me to buy a old lathe and I must buy it even though I have more than a few too many!
Sable I trust you have a fully functioning kettle

Hopefully picking up Saturday. Is there any metric screwcutting geartrain info out there?

Have end cover off and ponder a bit. See if a 1.27:1 (such as 127/100 tooth) compound idler has a place to fit in between stud gear and input to QC.

Some (any make) will require custom sectors - just to have a place to put stuff

Have end cover off and ponder a bit. See if a 1.27:1 (such as 127/100 tooth) compound idler has a place to fit in between stud gear and input to QC.

Some (any make) will require custom sectors - just to have a place to put stuff

That's plan A, no harm in hoping someone else has made a chart though!

Leblond uses a 127:120 compound for metric translation. Close enough in size to allow tooth thickness to be fudged so pitch circles are identical. This way its a simple gear slide to select inch or metric.

Back