Axelson 16X30 Find - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2611
    Likes (Received)
    1968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Steve,

    My brother fabricated a handle that look like the original. Dad made a cardboard template of one from another lathe. Torched cut it out of 1/2" plate, welded a boss on one end to bore out to fit the shaft coming out of the apron. The other end, we had a spare ball knob with the insert as used on the shifting levers on the head stock, got mounted on that end. The problem with that lever on the short bed lathes, it would get in the way of the chip pan at the end of the bed, and made it hard to disengage/engage the clutches. So most of the time it laid in the chip pan. It was still in the chip pan when the lathe was sold.

    I never had any issues reaching up and grabbing the lever to disengage or engage the clutches on the head stock. In fact, I found it easier to use over the lever on the apron on the Axelson lathe than on most other old iron lathes.

    If your really desperate, there's one up the road at Grant-Prideco like yours but with a longer bed. Just have to get past the guard shack. My brother may be able to get you in there after hours so you could sketch it up, if the lathe is not being used. Just a thought.

    Ken.
    Just saw this ken!1 I would love to get in to look at it!! Making the lever curved to miss the chip pan is the important part and I want to see How axelson did it....

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2611
    Likes (Received)
    1968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
    Shoot me a PM with your address. I'll see about sending it to you.
    I just opened the package and it feels really nice to have the original here!!! Mind if I take it apart, clean it up and maybe sand blast the rust off of it?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2611
    Likes (Received)
    1968

    Default

    I searched around and fount the post were were talking about today on the phone....

    Axleson Lathe purchase

    In it are pictures of the lifters I made for raising the lathe, there is also a picture of the small gantry crane I made to help lift things onto the machine and change the chucks....

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1897
    Likes (Received)
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    Just saw this ken!1 I would love to get in to look at it!! Making the lever curved to miss the chip pan is the important part and I want to see How axelson did it....
    Steve,

    My brother is going to take some pictures with some basic dimensions of that lever. His guys have already removed it from the lathe since he obtained the lathe last year for his department. They don't like it. The reason for that is the linkage from the clutch lever shaft down thru two sets of bevel gears to the rod that runs the length of the bed, to the third set of bevel gears to the handle. All of this linkage throws lots of slop in things and makes it difficult to shift in gear back to neutral, and reverse and back to neutral. You will find out once you build one and use it. Unfortunately, he cannot get you into the facility to let you get access to the lever or even send it to you. As soon as I get them, I'll post them here on PM.

    Ken

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2611
    Likes (Received)
    1968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4GSR View Post
    Steve,

    My brother is going to take some pictures with some basic dimensions of that lever. His guys have already removed it from the lathe since he obtained the lathe last year for his department. They don't like it. The reason for that is the linkage from the clutch lever shaft down thru two sets of bevel gears to the rod that runs the length of the bed, to the third set of bevel gears to the handle. All of this linkage throws lots of slop in things and makes it difficult to shift in gear back to neutral, and reverse and back to neutral. You will find out once you build one and use it. Unfortunately, he cannot get you into the facility to let you get access to the lever or even send it to you. As soon as I get them, I'll post them here on PM.

    Ken
    Damn... If I had only kept my Ninja skills up this would not be a problem

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1897
    Likes (Received)
    922

    Default

    Steve,

    Here's a couple pictures as promised. Just have to use your imagination a bit here. I would guess a piece of 3/4" black pipe with a slight bend in it. A pipe cap on one end and a round piece with a keyed bore to fit the shaft on the apron, an you got it. Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails handle-2.jpg   handle-1.jpg   handle-3.jpg  

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1897
    Likes (Received)
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    Damn... If I had only kept my Ninja skills up this would not be a problem
    Yeah, his shop building is next to the guard shack next to the front fence of the property. I guess he could throw it across the fence in the ditch and you come along and pick it up. Since NOV (National Oilwell/Varco has taken over, I can't even go on the property to see my own brother anymore. Even with proper PPE!. Ken

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Navasota / Whitehall Texas
    Posts
    3,563
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2611
    Likes (Received)
    1968

    Default

    No wonder they didn't like using the handle Ken, that's not the original handle!

    And here I was all excited

    The original looks to be cast and has many angles and offsets to miss the chip pan when in use. Also the ball knob on the end is pointing away from the apron so it's easy to grab. The one in the pictures is shop built and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.... Tell your brother thanks for me axelson-handle-3.jpgaxelson-handle-1.jpgaxelson-handle-2.jpg

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Victoria, Texas, USA
    Posts
    3,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1897
    Likes (Received)
    922

    Default

    Steve,

    That's the one I remember being on the lathe. I agree, the pictures of the one he sent has to be somebody's wet dream.

    I tried.

    Ken


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •