B & S no 2 universal or K & T model H - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, good thing I picked up repairing cast iron on my L&S. The coolant pump in the K&T wasn't working. Found a sheared drive pin on the pump input shaft. Pulled the pump and found this:
    cool.jpg

Cleaned it up, and found a broken tooth on the input gearing. So, I got to play some more:
    cooltooth.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She be pumpin, yo.

Strange pump setup. No actual impeller on a shaft at the bottom in a housing. Just a loose fitting gear at the top, which surprisingly (to me) creates enough suction/force to actually work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by woodsrider845 View Post
    She be pumpin, yo.

Strange pump setup. No actual impeller on a shaft at the bottom in a housing. Just a loose fitting gear at the top, which surprisingly (to me) creates enough suction/force to actually work.
    She be pumpin' longer if she be pumpin' cutting oil instead of water...Don't aske me how I know this...Cheers; Ramsay 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ramsay1 View Post
    She be pumpin' longer if she be pumpin' cutting oil instead of water...Don't aske me how I know this...Cheers; Ramsay 1
    Yeah, she's running cutting oil now. Out of curiosity, when you say "oil", are you specifically meaning cutting oil, or a coolant/cutting fluid? Curious about what you're running on your K&T's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First job on the B&S yesterday:
    doinwork.jpg

Cutting t-slot clamps for the K&T.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, she's running cutting oil now. Out of curiosity, when you say "oil", are you specifically meaning cutting oil, or a coolant/cutting fluid? Curious about what you're running on your K&T's.
    Oil, cutting OIL.....Nothing that has water in it...Sulphur based stinking cutting oil....I have, in a pinch, used hypoid gear oil when I could get it for free...Cheers; Ramsay 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reason being that's what it was basically designed for, and that's what she wants?

Because, as you can see, the fluid that was being run on the B&S is definitely water based.
    I just drained, filtered, and replaced what was in both machines for now, just to make sure the pumps were working properly. Didn't want t waste new stuff, and I'm glad I didn't, because I would have put in either liquid ice HPX or qualchem 251c.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reason being that's what it was basically designed for, and that's what she wants?
    Where "what she WANTS" isn't the mill itself so much as the "era".

The summation of RPM, feeds, metals commonly being worked (Iron & steel mostly) annnnd.. the cutters in use of the day. HSS, even HCS.

Carbide'ize it, work shiney-wood or Copper's alloys? - dif'rent "wants".

One-man shop, most machine-tools are used one-at-a-time, and with longish idle periods in between, each machine otherwise "fermenting" varnish, biologicals, & such.

A wheel-up off-machine cutting fluid/coolant service rig wih scavenging, settling, filtering pumping and fresh make-up to the recycled fluid supply of interest?

They can cut the cost, disposal/treatment nuisance and general maintenance and service headaches for a whole tribe - or "treehouse" - full of machine-tools.

CAVEAT: Select a cutting OIL for longevity, low hassle, a cutting FLUID (emulsion) the same, and neither one will ever be "optimal", all work, all circumstances.

So long as you are not in slender-margin, volume production, same part, same alloy, challenging cycle-time (CNC's world...) "optimal" isn't the primary driver.

"Good enough", always to-hand if needed at all, low cost, low hassle, and low disposal burden can be more valuable.

Or so I believe. Never did like cutting steels "dry".

YMMV!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A pic of the horizontals in the tree house
    hori-row.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A pic of the horizontals in the tree house
    hori-row.jpg
    Nice tall ceiling like, that?

Show us what varieties of trees it is that you be raising, other side.

Got all stove up, hired me a guy to weed-wack my place. Shudda been more selective.

He got rid of 12 Blue Rug Junipers in a staggered dual row .... figuring they was uncommonly well-regimented weeds..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Both of these machines kick ass.