Brown & Sharpe #0 Omniversal
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brown & Sharpe #0 Omniversal

I am the buyer of the Omniversal JoeE mentioned in the antique forum. The Omniversal is much better suited to a Heavy Iron forum, so I am starting a (tool gloat) thread here. The machine was dated by John Oder as between about 1952 and 1955. It has the new format serial number, which started about '52, and production ceased about '55.

The machine is pretty dirty, but looks to be in pretty good mechanical condition. It lost a couple of demo derby rounds with various forklifts, but those spots looks fairly easily fixed.

Some general observations include the all angle vertical head has a camlock 30, the same taper as a #30 NMTB. It looks like a DeVlieg flash change, but there is no projection from the small end of the taper for a pull stud. It appears to have about 2" of quill travel.

The table feed is driven by a DC electric motor. There is a large tube in the DC power supply. Feeds are infinite from 1/2 to 15 ipm. The feed appears to drive both the conventional X and Y, as well as the slide for the vertical trunnion.

All the lead gears except for the 100 tooth, as well as 3 index plates, are in the compartment at the rear of the machine. The 100 tooth was probably attached to the long lost dividing head.

It will take lots of cleaning and some fiddling before its ready to take for a drive. Then there will be the never ending search for accessories.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front.jpg   omniversal-dc-drive.jpg   p1010001.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here are more pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p1010007.jpg   omniversal-gears.jpg   p1010005.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats on the the new toy Glenn!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations on the mill. You must have been pleasantly surprised when you opened that little door on the rear of the machine to find all the goodies still tucked away in their slots.

If you haven't already you should join the Omniversal group on Yahoo. Not really alot of activity but some generous members have scanned much material including the operations and parts manual for your generation of machine:

bsomniversal : Brown & Sharpe Omniversal

Good luck with the mill and please keep the photos coming as you clean up the machine and get it under power.

Dick

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is the rust-colored cylinder sticking out the rear up near the top?

Post Thanks / Like

Covers the drive for the aux spindle

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its not clean yet, but I did power it up. The DC feed motor powered up and ran. I haven't tried the variable feed dial. The spindles both sounded good.

Does anyone have the proper dividing head for this machine they would sell or trade? I have a 10" B & S that is not set up for differential indexing if you would accept a larger head, or a K & T 10" model K.

Even pictures and a size would be helpful so I would know the proper dividing head when I see it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In my 1941 B&S catalog it lists the dividing head as a 10 inch universal