What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe #2 Horizontal Mill

Hi John,

So sorry, not familiar with this machine so hopefully a pic might help. It looks like this one except complete and in full running condition. All I saw on the plate was No. 2 ....

bs2small.jpg

Cheers,
Roberto

It think they called these "Light Type", and I believe they were made in the forties and fifties.

Looks like it has the #40 taper spindle.

These were more or less contemporary with the Omniversal.

John

John is exactly right, the picture you posted is of the light type, which does have a 40 taper spindle. The mill shown is from the early 40's based on the visible table feed motor on the right. Brown and Sharpe did make a heavier mill also labeled as a number 2, the 2A was universal, and the 2B was a plain milling machine. The easiest way to check this is that the spindle taper on the heavier mill is a 50. However, I will tell you that every light type B+S mill from this era I have seen clearly states number 2 light type on the data plate.

If you have the light type, The first thing to check is the table feed. When this mill was first built, it was lineshaft powered. In the 1930's it was converted to its own 3 HP motor. The table feeds were shaft driven off the main spindle motor, so the mill only has one motor.

Some time around 1943, B+S went to a second motor to power the table feeds, which freed all the power of the main motor to go to the spindle. At about that time they added a third motor powered pump for a coolant system. When they first did this, the coolant pump was on the base of the unit at the right rear, if you look at the mill from the front. All the electrics were in the mill base on the lower right.

After about a year or two like this, but definitely by 1946, B+S must have made the control relays more complicated or something, because they put a large electrical box to hold the controls on th right rear of the machine, and then moved the coolant pump to the left rear as you look at it from the front.

This was the configuration of the light type mill for the rest of the time it was made. Some time around 1950 or so, (I don't know the exact year) B+S did away with the light type machine and came out with the Dynamaster milling machine line.

The Dynamaster number 2 was the successor to the number 2 light type. It came with a 3 horse motor, but had options for up 5 and 10 horse as well. The electrical box was shifted further to the rear,still on the right side, and the coolant pump was hidden in the base. The table drive motor was moved from the right side to the left side as you look from the front. The major improvement if you ask me is that it did have a backlash elimination system to allow climb milling, which the previous light types did not.

Hope this helps with identification. If you have a serial number for your mill post it, and I might be able to pinpoint the year a little better. I have the manual for the #2 light type made in 1946.

Thanks, great info.

Here is what I know so far, will not be back at the machine till friday.

This is a 3 HP model (all original and in full working order). It has one large motor on the center column in the rear, one the knee and coolant pump in the base. It has a set of buttons on the rear near the bottom (push button type) and the control is in the base at the rear with a swing open door that look like the base.

Any manual near to what looks like above would be great so I am better informed.

Thanks and cheers,
Roberto

I guess the phone # I sent you didn't turn up a manual My machine is a 2A universal and has the 50 taper and I now know it came from the 30's Mine is driven by a single motor and has a silent drive chain. The feeds are in fact driven by a small shaft. Sorry I wasn't any help Roberto. Barry Lanier

Hi Barry,

Still working the number, not giving up hope ! What seems to have happened is that you have to go thought a maze of options and people and then they say they will get back to me in a couple days ..... I will call them again tomorrow and see if I can get a hold of someone else.

Cheers,
Roberto

Bought the browne and sharpe No. 2 light duty mill ...... Spent several hours checking it out today and everything works, just a little gummed up since no one has changed oil or cleaned it in long time. The ways are in good shape and very very oily, I think that saved the machine.

The machine came complete with a ton of tooling all new and still in boxes.

Looking for a replacement upper arbor support arm and univeral milling head for it. Will post some pics when its here.

Cheers,
Roberto

[ 09-01-2007, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Roberto ]

Found the serial numbers on the machine, it is 7730 and the brass tag calls the machine a "No.2 Universal Light Duty". There was a service tag in the gear draw showing a service in 10/1952.

Found the the replacement overarm arbor support (both type A and B). May have an extra type A support if anyone is interested. Now just need to track down some docs/manuals.

Cheers,
Roberto

Hi Everyone,

After some effort, my B & S #2 universal light duty is home. Not as light as it looks .... HEAVY ! Maxed my rolling lift dolly.

Here are some pics:

1m.jpg

1am.jpg

2m.jpg

3m.jpg

4m.jpg

5m.jpg

10m.jpg

12m.jpg

The Tree mill head was a treat but still looking for a B&S actual head. Found the replacement arbor supports, that was a real joy !!

The column motor is 3HP and unsure of the table feed motor, maybe 1 or 2 HP (no labels at all) ???

Cheers,
Roberto

Roberto, I have some interesting news for you. My description above of the different types of no 2 light type machines was based on the manuals that I had available to me, and based on catalog 141 from 1939. I recently got a copy of catalog 142, from 1941. The machine you have is from that catalog, and appears to be yet another version of the mill which included table feeds that were shaft driven by the main 3 horse motor, and fast feeds which were driven by the ¾ horse motor. I didn’t mention this mill because I didn’t know about it. The catalog clearly states the main feed is from the shaft, and the fast travel is from the second motor.

How do I know this is your type? Look at your third picture. You can clearly see both the shaft feed case, and the fast travel motor. The earlier ones don’t have the motor, the later ones don’t have the shaft feed case.

I don’t have the manuals for this model, but I have the parts manual for the 1939 model which has only one motor and shaft driven table feeds. The 39 model has roughly similar controls. I also have the operation and parts manual for the 1943, 44? model in which all table feeds are by the second motor. The controls for the later model are significantly different. (I am not sure when the converted all table feeds to the second motor, could be 43 or 44) You really do want the operations manual for your machine.

It looks like Brown and Sharpe changed this mill a lot in the seven years from 1939 to 1946, as there are 4 versions of this same model that I know of in those years.

You might try these guys, it looks like this is the parts manual for your machine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brown-Sharpe-2-Milling-Machine-Parts-Manual_W0QQitemZ330097730022

Note it is listed as light type with power fast travel. You should call them first and find out if it is the same as your mill, and if they have the operations manual.

I did finally copy what I have and it is being sent to you. Hopefully it will help some. Good luck.

Kris,

Thanks for the info !! So, 1941, sweet. I will have to keep an eye for that number catalog. I did find the wiring diagram for it inside the contactor compartment and it is a rapid reverse model. Any chance of getting a some scans of those pages in the catalog ? If not possible, not a problem. Thanks a million for the stuff, I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Roberto

That is a very nice looking mill, appears to be in great shape for its age. The Tree head is a nice addition, I wouldn't worry much about finding a B&S head, might be a long search.

Kris,

I managed to find a B & S Catalog #142 and it is on it's way. Thanks a million for that information !

I did find a #22 head with transverse adjustment for the machine. Once all measurements are verified so know it fits correctly, may purchase it.

BTW, here is pick of the replacement yokes, very sweet and complete condition.
Image062.jpg

Cheers,
Roberto

If you are still looking for B&S No.2 et al mill manuals check out Ozarkwoodworker.com, they have manuals for a lot of metal and wood working machinery.

I just bought a couple of No. 2 manuals myself, spendy but excellent reproductions.

regards,
RedMike

Roberto,

I've got not only a universal head (omniversal head?, rotates in 2 axises), but a slotter and BP M head and adapter, possibly more overarm supports and support brackets. But I have not got a BS #2...

Not sure what the taper is in the head, havn't delved into that thing yet.

What I do have is a KT #2H universal.

If you can find any accessories for that, I'm willing to trade. I really kinda want the slotter, but would rather have a KT slotter. I'm going to fabricate adapters, that don't involve any machining on the attachments, so they're going to be available, indefinitely.

I can also arrange an opportunity haul once a year out to your area, usually late Sep or early Oct.

I reckon two sets of eyes should turn up something twice as fast!

Later,

Tools

Back