What's new
What's new

Brown&Sharpe Omniversal mill .. l bought it ..

hadi

Plastic
Its a new to me .. l have used a BRIDGEPORT mill . Since many months ago ,l have been thinking to buy a Horizontal mill with attachment vertical head .In Kuwait its Hard to find machines , l found it with good shape and fear using condition the owner used little . Unfortunately , the support arbor missed . anyone have familiar with same model or any experience ?

Thanks

IMG_3517.jpgIMG_3517.jpgIMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

Its a pretty rare mill that was very expensive new. Missing parts will probably have to be made since there isnt many machines made. Very odd that it ended up on that side of the world. Very nice little machines. Would love to own one.

Its a pretty rare mill that was very expensive new. Missing parts will probably have to be made since there isnt many machines made. Very odd that it ended up on that side of the world. Very nice little machines. Would love to own one.

Not so odd. Oilfields were using equipment a looong way from the factory, had to be able to makee-fixee. Saudi ARAMCO was also the de-facto "free garage" for the Royals' automobiles, back in the 1950's.

One arrogant prince brought a new 1952 Cadillac V8 in and told the ARAMCO staff it needed a new carburettor. He read it in a book. They said they'd be happy to get one shipped in for him by air, but had nothing in stock for a Caddy V8.

He marches into the stockroom, comes back with a carburettor, says:

"See, I know what I am looking at. Don't try to lie! That is a carburettor!" And orders that it be installed. At once!

It took a bit of plate and some machine work and linkage fabrication, but he drove out very pleased he had put the foreign bastards in their place.

His Caddy probably LIVED longer struggling to catch its breath through a 6-cylinder Chevvy pickup's tiny Rochester one barrel carb, too!

:)

Hadi

Nice machine!

Don't worry about the over arm support. There are many work arounds. Identify the spindle taper and configuration, pick up a few stub arbors and long arbors etc. and then watch "ebay" etc. for a support, or fabricate one WHEN THE NEED ARISES.

That is one heck of a machine tool. Clean it up, get it working nicely
Use the omniversal head until the cows come home.
Tool it up as you can.

I wonder if info is available at Lathes.co.UK ?

eta IT IS!
Brown & Sharp Omniversal Miller

It's a very nice an desirable machine indeed. The challenge associated with being adjustable in every axis is to adjust them at right angles, where you need them for 99.5% of the jobs.

Paolo

Am I lucky ? l like it really .Thanks

Not so odd. Oilfields were using equipment a looong way from the factory, had to be able to makee-fixee. Saudi ARAMCO was also the de-facto "free garage" for the Royals' automobiles, back in the 1950's.

One arrogant prince brought a new 1952 Cadillac V8 in and told the ARAMCO staff it needed a new carburettor. He read it in a book. They said they'd be happy to get one shipped in for him by air, but had nothing in stock for a Caddy V8.

He marches into the stockroom, comes back with a carburettor, says:

"See, I know what I am looking at. Don't try to lie! That is a carburettor!" And orders that it be installed. At once!

It took a bit of plate and some machine work and linkage fabrication, but he drove out very pleased he had put the foreign bastards in their place.

His Caddy probably LIVED longer struggling to catch its breath through a 6-cylinder Chevvy pickup's tiny Rochester one barrel carb, too!

:)
Thanks , :)

I think B&S has been out of the machine tool business for at least 30 years

Thumbnail is the 30 cam lock tooling often used in the vertical head - no longer being made that I know of

Manual scan

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2185/7312.pdf
Yes , l got some holders for Vertical head and l have never seen before , its cam look with left bolt for releasing . you know a lot about this mill . Thanks for your information . Thanks

Hadi

Nice machine!

Don't worry about the over arm support. There are many work arounds. Identify the spindle taper and configuration, pick up a few stub arbors and long arbors etc. and then watch "ebay" etc. for a support, or fabricate one WHEN THE NEED ARISES.

That is one heck of a machine tool. Clean it up, get it working nicely
Use the omniversal head until the cows come home.
Tool it up as you can.

I wonder if info is available at Lathes.co.UK ?

eta IT IS!
Brown & Sharp Omniversal Miller

I think the arm support for Horizontal milling is important . l wish l can find here but impossible really . l dont know how l can ship heavy items by post from US to Kuwait if l found on Ebay or else place . l will keep searching to get . Thanks

It's a very nice an desirable machine indeed. The challenge associated with being adjustable in every axis is to adjust them at right angles, where you need them for 99.5% of the jobs.

Paolo

Yes , there are many axis ,it take time to setup and adjust . The important thing now How to use power feed of table . Thanks

l will post some pic later . There is Hydraulic hose connected to table .. l think this table moves by out Hydraulic pump .

If you are talking lower left, maybe so - but that isn't just the table, its the whole knee, two section saddle and table

Such after market add-ons would naturally require a stand alone hydraulic power unit - the machine proper having no such utility on board

Attachments

• IMG_3519 Omni.jpg
    IMG_3519 Omni.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 191
If you are talking lower left, maybe so - but that isn't just the table, its the whole knee, two section saddle and table

Yes , you are correct .
The Wheel can move the saddle and table in same time . l just try it manually ,so interesting
but l dont know how make it move with power feed . l post below some pics l think this power feed needs hydraulic pump

IMG_3555.jpg

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3558.jpg
    IMG_3558.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 92
l think this power feed needs hydraulic pump

As-had, yes. Also tank or reservoir, hoses, filtering... I just wouldn't go there.

It was a field-modification for some bespoke purpose. It should be a "reversible" or "un do able" one.

Setting things back to as-built, ex factory gets you back to general-purpose mill, and this one was VERY "general purpose" in its prime.

Shame to give that up to preserve some prior user's limited-purpose kludge.

If you NEED power on that axis? A hollow-shaft electric gearmotor - DC variable speed simpler than VFD - will need far less external support. Bison brand for one of mine. Another I use a common air-wrench, "ratchet", not hard-impact. Battery electric power tools have found use, as well.

Keep it simple. Get it to where you can use it, THEN see if it needs improvements for YOUR use.

See the cut-off wires? See the open bottom where something use to bolt on?

Obviously had an electric motor at one time - maybe DC and variable speed to change rate of travel

I think the manual DOES ADDRESS the fact that this axis was variable

Thumbnail is screen shot from manual. Note Item 39

Attachments

• Omni side motor.jpg
    Omni side motor.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 65
See the cut-off wires? See the open bottom where something use to bolt on?

Obviously had an electric motor at one time - maybe DC and variable speed to change rate of travel

I think the manual DOES ADDRESS the fact that this axis was variable

Thumbnail is screen shot from manual. Note Item 39

Oh, for higher res...

Note the mind's eye position of the motor shaft centerline, extended.

Also the dial - Variac style "maybe" or mechanical gear-ratio-selector "maybe".

I'd guess an AC motor plus at the very least a hi-lo range if not a variable range.

The information has to exist. Somewhere.

Even without that, one can DIY a workalike simply by making "stuff" to mate-up to whatever IS still there. FWIW, my Quartet's heavier knee utilizes a "pancake" 3-phase 3/4 HP motor and a case full of gears and clutches. Shoehorning a DC motor in would be tough.

This mill has more space, driving motor long-axis. Any of several conventional DC or AC motors should fit. Half-HP if DC, 3/4 HP if AC should be plenty. Perhaps less, depending on what gearing or belted ratios are included. If "none"- back to the packaged "gearmotor".

Go for it!

Attachments

• blurred_knee_drive.jpg
    blurred_knee_drive.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 54

Back