What's new
What's new

Calling all Pacemaker Guru's

gmach10

Hot Rolled
I'm changing the clutches on a 1951 Pacemaker. That part of the job is going well, BUT. The output shaft on the head stock that powers the gear box has a lot of excess rotation or so it seems. If I turn it clockwise till it stops I can turn it the opposite direction approximately 3/4 of a turn. I can hear it clank in the head stock. Is this normal? If it isn't what's the cure? Does anyone have a manual, I'm using the photocopy of a photocopy. As always any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks John. Would you know about the play in the reversing shaft?

Nuthin - until I had it all apart for a look see.

If by chance you are talking about a lead screw reverse system that would be expected to have play due to the single tooth clutch idea.

This would only apply to Pacemakers that had the extra shaft across the front and the extra lever right side of apron

Yes this machine has the lever you speak of, that explains it. I didn't want to tear apart something that was working as it should. Thanks for your knowledge and again to you and Greg Menke for the PDF of the manual.

Yes this machine has the lever you speak of, that explains it. I didn't want to tear apart something that was working as it should. Thanks for your knowledge and again to you and Greg Menke for the PDF of the manual.

That is what makes the CLUNK! at low speeds and the BANG!! at too fast speeds

If that apron lever is working right it will stay in one of three positions - fwd, rev and neutral (of lead screw rotation). Suggests magic like threading with no thread dial and little or no half nut opening

Here is my old write up on Hendey's - who had them forever. Starts at Post #17

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

ph

you should take pics and post them on doing the clutches on the pacemaker. I have thought about pulling mine apart but have yet to do it.

my lathe has the lead screw reverse and and I dont notice any clunk. with the machine off and the clutch engaged, and the reverse rod in the up position, i can spin the main pulley and there is no clunk. I can spin it forward then backward and the feed rod to the apron spins accordingly without any slop/clunk from anything.

I read the title, saw the OT, and thought to my self "I'm all for DIY but I don't think I'd tinker with my ticker timer".

Glad to see we are talking about lathes. :crazy:

I'll fess up - the last time I ran a Pacemaker was well over 50 years ago in the apprenticeship, and I would not have known it had LSR if I stared right at it, so I have zero experience with whether they "clunk" or not:D

I do know the Hendeys make such noise.

you should take pics and post them on doing the clutches on the pacemaker. I have thought about pulling mine apart but have yet to do it.

my lathe has the lead screw reverse and and I dont notice any clunk. with the machine off and the clutch engaged, and the reverse rod in the up position, i can spin the main pulley and there is no clunk. I can spin it forward then backward and the feed rod to the apron spins accordingly without any slop/clunk from anything.

only time it will "clunk" is when you are running it and flip the LSR lever. you are only to flip the lever if you are under 200 RPM according to the tag on my machine

Back