What's new
What's new

Cinci Monset grinder age?

reggie_obe

Diamond
Have been looking to buy a Monoset grinder. One has come up for auction near me, haven't been able to see it in person to check for collets and attachments yet. Can't see the model# in the posted images, but the posted serial number is: 201CSL-39. Any way to determine its age from just the SN? When I'm able to inspect the machine, what are the key areas to check? One thing that immediately jumps out at me is that this machine and several others in the auction have all been repainted.

Have been looking to buy a Monoset grinder. One has come up for auction near me, haven't been able to see it in person to check for collets and attachments yet. Can't see the model# in the posted images, but the posted serial number is: 201CSL-39. Any way to determine its age from just the SN? When I'm able to inspect the machine, what are the key areas to check? One thing that immediately jumps out at me is that this machine and several others in the auction have all been repainted.

Make sure all the collets and small parts / stops / stone holders / odds and ends are there, the thing is worthless without all the bits and you will NEVER find them. Ask me how I know.

Here is the manual for the Monoset but not much info in it.
http://manuals.chudov.com/Cincinnati-Monoset-Grinder-Manual.pdf

Good to download the Cincinnati #2 manual to find cutter sharpening methods that most can also be done on the Monoset.
A good tight Monoset can pick up a spiral. With not much tooling one can put a 4jaw in the work hear end and do many kinds of tooling, Yes with having taper shank holders ground straight to fit the 4jaw for taper shank tooling and for holding a straight arbor for mill cutters and saws....

Yes above suggestions to make due with not having all the do dads Moonlight is talking about that are hard to find/ or priced like gold..
I used to run a Monoset at the big shop.

I think a Cici #2 or the like (with tilt work head and centers) is handier for general sharpening..but the Monoset can swing corner radius and pick up a spiral(if it is a tight machine) .

Back