What's new
What's new

Cinci ToolMaster Hydraulic Question

drom68

Cast Iron
I just picked up this Tool Master.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-heavy-iron/new-cincinnati-toolmaster-252238/

This is one stout milling machine! Who said Bridgeport....:stirthepot:

I am having issues with the hydraulics in the knee (Cinel 60 202-12hv). When I turn it on, the hydraulics run at normal speed, but after a minute or so it ramps up to higher rate about the same as if in rapid traverse. I can't find any adjustment screw. Also, the rapid traverse lever does not work. I can pull it up and nothing happens. I was going to pull the plate that the rapid traverse lever is attached to, but I don't feel like pulling it and hearing something let loose and not knowing what it was.

Anyone have any idea of how to adjust or fix the issue?

I also pulled the brake lever off the head, it is metal on metal. Are there any replacement brake pads or is there a specific material to use to remake the brake pads.

Lot of little issues to sort out on this, but the vertical head is up and running. I need to wire up the horizontal side, I have push button switches, run, reverse, and stop that I will use. Oil leaks underneath the knee I need to seal up. Already repaired a number of items on it.

Overall I am pleased with the mill, just needs attention in several areas.

I started digging in to rapid traverse. Made a collar for the left side to ensure I didn't accidentally pull the entire shaft out, inside on the left side there is a spring and lever attached.
IMG_0720.jpg

Drained the oil and pulled the cover on the right side of the knee. Not much to see. But I was able to see that the rapid lever was not engaging in anything. The bottom pin wasn't attached to anything and I started moving what appears to be a valve back and forth, then rotated it and found a slot for the pin to fit in. Pretty straight forward, but not sure if this was the only thing.
IMG_0719.jpgIMG_0722.jpg

From the grinding on the inside of the cover and the bottom portion of the shaft it seems that things were not fitting properly when it was assembled due to the pin not being inserted into the slot.
IMG_0721.jpg

Cleaned everything up and put it back together. Refilled with oil and cranked her up. The hydraulic did not automatically go into rapid and rings were looking good. Waited for the system to run a few and then engaged the levers. All directions were moving great, no issues. Then I attempted the rapid, not so good. The rapids are not engaging.

The bottom of the knew has numerous leaks, small ones but I need to seal things up. So time to drain the oil completely and pull the bottom covers, once I do that I will get a better look at the inside and see if there is anything else.

Well hopefully this will help someone out in the future.

Found three sets of brake pads for the mill in the box I got from the PO. Now I need to braze up the worn down corners, will do that tomorrow if I get the time.
IMG_0731.jpgIMG_0731.jpg

The solenoid that activates the hydraulic valve took a crap on me. It is attached to two wires, activates when the spindle is turned on and the table can then be used. Without it, there is no hydraulic power to the table, but the hydraulic motor is running. I made up an aluminum plate to push the plunger in and keep the valve open at all times. I will look into a replacement solenoid later. I actually prefer being able to move the table without the spindle running. May keep it that way or put a switch in that will allow movement of the table independent of the spindle.
IMG_0730.jpg

Haven't had time to drain the hydraulic oil and dig into the rapid traverse. I did seal up several oil leaks, but have one more to go. The feed mechanism is the main leak now.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting your repair. I don't have that model but i still enjoy reading about the diagnostics and repairs of all machines.

Just wanted to say thanks for posting your repair. I don't have that model but i still enjoy reading about the diagnostics and repairs of all machines.

Thanks. Eventually I will get into more detailed parts, hydraulic and electrical. The electrical will be geared towards the IOS as it is not wired. Just need some time between jobs. Trying to knock out the quick low hanging fruit right now.

Back