What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 0-8 vertical production mill value

Drivesaslayer

Plastic
Good Morning All,

I know this will be a tough question to answer but looking for opinion. I have come across a Cincinnati 0-8 vertical production mill in (barely) serviceable condition, needing some serious TLC. For example, the wheel on the left of the heads spins several rotations in one direction then stops, then i can spine it in the other direction until it stops. So a pin or lock for the nut is out of it. the bed will not move as it feels like gears are engaged, but it could be stuck due to sitting for some time.
It has been converted to 110v (losing the original pulley on the motor) but does spin as does the spindle. For obvious reasons i didn't run it long.

What kind of asking price is reasonable for a fixer upper such as this? i do not have picture, SN or other details.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide

If you gave 10 bucks for it you would regret it

Paying for it or being willing to accept it as a gift makes it your problem to move, which it is not worth

Any 08 is the very last word in non handy, non versatile milling machines - made to be set up by the set up person and run - maybe - by some house wife on the same cut on the same part for week in, week out, year in, year out - as long as needed

Thanks for the reply.. I was wondering if this machine could be used for general milling in a home shop but its not looking like it. I've never had a milling machine besides the Chinese 3 in 1 (lathe, mill, drill) I have now so I have been looking for an affordable upgrade.

Guess i'll keep looking

I appreciate that link. I just skimmed through a few pages and it looks like there is good information in there.

Paying for it or being willing to accept it as a gift makes it your problem to move, which it is not worth

Any 08 is the very last word in non handy, non versatile milling machines - made to be set up by the set up person and run - maybe - by some house wife on the same cut on the same part for week in, week out, year in, year out - as long as needed

I second that.. I bought a Cincinnati 08 vertical as my first mill... It was three phase and was also missing the driven pulley as someone had mounted a pulley directly to the spindle shaft... It is a great machine for what it was intended but you better pass it by if you want it to use in your shop as it is always just a a little bit too short for what you want to do...

A Bridgeport M head is better in my opinion.. Been there done it years ago.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Driveaslayer,
I have a Cincinnati 0-8 Rise and Fall mill that was a gift to me.
Unit is fully operational and we use it occasionally to cut gears manually.
The extra weight has it's advantages! Should be able to answer some questions about machine if needed.
Wood2steel

Anyone know what might be wrong if the motors don’t start? When we press the motor start button we get a very faint motor-like noise from something near the electric compartment but it isn’t the transformer, which has 45 volts output whenever power is on. The cam stack behind right-hand door is rolled to “stop” position. We read on a plaque on the machine something like “if machine stops before cycle is complete, crank table to start position...”. We did that and still nothing but the faint hum. I want to see the motors run. This was still in use at the big shop in LITTLESTOWN, PA when I got it so I’m thinking it should work.

That sounds like the hum trying to run a 3-phase motor on 1-phase electricity. Are you sure about the incoming juice is proper? Could also be a disconnected motor wire some where in the circuit, too.

They could have fat fingered the number, instead of 1 wound up 81.:)

Back years ago, we had a freight truck come in with at least six of these on the back end. I though to myself that would be a nice small mill to have. Commented to my boss back then, his comment was, you don't want that piece of crap!!! Found out later why.:(

Thx, I emailed the guy who provided the document to see if he had whole thing. I bought this because I liked the air-vise that was on it. $5. Nobody else bid. I have more Mills than I want to admit so this is a toy or maybe interesting artifact is the way to put it, I want to see it run but don’t have to do any work with it. Our Nichols horiz. Mill is Closest to it, and that will do nice work on a similar scale.

Status: The loud noise is the nonferrous spindle-Drive gang pulley rattling on the steel spline shaft. Won’t be hard to add a little shim when the pulley position is set, since that won’t be hard to remove, plus I won’t be using this very often. But anyone know where I can get a “complete” set of cams for it?

Vid of it working with electrical fix described.

YouTube

posted:

---Quote---
But anyone know where I can get a “complete” set of cams for it?
---End Quote---
:confused:

Why would it have cams? And if it did, why would such job specific items be in a "set"?

Mine has the “rise and fall” feature which takes up to five cams to generate the spindle height profile, I’ll attach a frame fm the video. The black part of each cam bears the Cinci part no. Of that cam. So my cam collection has a population of 5 out of certainly many dozens. P/n 113920 and 113927 are visible, numbers on others may be turned to rear.

Years ago there was a machine shop that had one for yard art. If I remember correctly he attached his mail box to it.
Years ago he told me that the crows would fly upside down over it as it was not worth crapping on...………………….

Back