What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 10x36 Hydrashift Traytop restoration

jmhoying

Hot Rolled
I picked up a 1960 Cincinnati Hydrashift about 6 weeks ago and am close to getting it back in service. Luckily, the lathe was in good mechanical condition and the only purchase I have had to make for it are new belts, lubricants and paint. I'll post the before photo and some of the clean-up and painting photos now, and hopefully, I'll have it in place in the next week so I can post some final photos.

Lathe01.jpg
A poor paint job many years ago made for a lot of work!

lathe07.jpg
Before and after of a tailstock handle

lathe08.jpg
Beat up compound

lathe09.jpg
Compound after grinding and painting

Nice lathe! Ive heard nothing but great things about the Cinncy hydra machines. can you post a pic of it totally finished when your done with it?

Nice lathe! Ive heard nothing but great things about the Cinncy hydra machines. can you post a pic of it totally finished when your done with it?

Hopefully I'll have it in place by the end of the week. I fired it up yesterday and made 6 - 2" tall leveling feet for it to raise it up enough to clear a storage cart I already have. Compared to my Clausing 5914 that I had, this heavy Cincinnati is a real joy to use!!

2 of the 6 leveler leg extensions.
lathe040.jpg

Jack

Best of luck to you. I just picked up a similar lathe except mine is a little shorter and has manual gears. I'll be following along with great interest!

Some more photos of the clean-up and painting.

lathe23.jpg
The tailstock disassembled.

lathe10.jpg
Tailstock finished

lathe22.jpg
Disassembled compound

lathe26.jpg
Scraping loose paint from the chip pan.

lathe28.jpg
Finished chip pan.

A few more photos of the lathe during cleanup/painting.

The accessories cleaned up and ready to go
lathe21.jpg

These feet were a real mess, with rust and painted threads, but they cleaned up nice.
lathe25.jpg

The taper attachment when it was removed.
taper02.jpg

The taper attachment cleaned up and painted, ready to be re-assembled.
taper01.jpg

I have my 10x36 Cincinnati Hydrashift Traytop up on it's new legs, in it's final position and leveled up. It's nice to have all that restoration work behind me. Luckily, there was very little mechanical work to do, just cleanup and painting. (other than replacing the belts and all fluids)
Looks pretty good for a 56 year old machine! Runs as nice as it looks!

lathe50.jpg

lathe51.jpg

lathe54.jpg

I needed to raise the lathe two inches to clear a storage unit I have that fits under the chip tray. The legs were the first project on the lathe. The new height is also nicer for me to reach the lathe controls.
lathe52.jpg

A few more photos of the lathe during cleanup/painting.

The accessories cleaned up and ready to go
View attachment 168772

These feet were a real mess, with rust and painted threads, but they cleaned up nice.
View attachment 168773

The taper attachment when it was removed.
View attachment 168775

The taper attachment cleaned up and painted, ready to be re-assembled.
View attachment 168774

nice job ,nice machine.i recently got one and need to find or make these leveling feet,do you happen to know the thread size?

nice job ,nice machine.i recently got one and need to find or make these leveling feet,do you happen to know the thread size?

The leveling screws on my 1962 vintage 12-1/2" Hydrashift are 1-3/16 x 16TPI. The Cincy parts catalog shows only one part number for the leveling screws for all of the sizes of Hydrashifts, so I'd assume that yours would be the same.

Wow. Big difference. Nice! I have a Tray Top, Love it. Decades old and leaves nothing to want for. It's crazy!

thank you. i have started another thread with a problem i am trying to solve. any chance you could tell me the part number of the tag on you gear box?

I'm about to buy a Cincinnati hydrashift 13x36 but I was wondering if it would work with a vfd I'm mostly curious about the way it changes gears. I didn't know if that was all powered by the motor or not I'm assuming it isn't but I just wanted to confirm.

I'm about to buy a Cincinnati hydrashift 13x36 but I was wondering if it would work with a vfd I'm mostly curious about the way it changes gears. I didn't know if that was all powered by the motor or not I'm assuming it isn't but I just wanted to confirm.

The gears shifting hydraulics are run from a pump on the main motor. I would guess a VFD would work for powering it, but it'd be best to run it at full speed at all times.

My 10x36 has a 3hp motor, so it'd take a good sized VFD. I use a rotary phase convertor on mine.

Jack

Back