Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt1997 View Post
    I'm about to buy a Cincinnati hydrashift 13x36 but I was wondering if it would work with a vfd I'm mostly curious about the way it changes gears. I didn't know if that was all powered by the motor or not I'm assuming it isn't but I just wanted to confirm.
    I'll second Jim's recommendation to run the motor at it's rated speed using an RPC. The main hydraulic pump that provides pressure for shifting the gears is belt driven directly from the motor, so it's turning whenever the motor is running. I'd be concerned about running the pump at reduced speeds when the motor is controlled by a VFD. If the pump output pressure or flow isn't high enough, you'll probably experience partial or missed shifts, which could damage some of the headstock gearing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood1968 View Post
    The leveling screws on my 1962 vintage 12-1/2" Hydrashift are 1-3/16 x 16TPI. The Cincy parts catalog shows only one part number for the leveling screws for all of the sizes of Hydrashifts, so I'd assume that yours would be the same.

Ooops. Correction: mine are 1-1/4" - 16TPI as well.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmhoying View Post
    The gears shifting hydraulics are run from a pump on the main motor. I would guess a VFD would work for powering it, but it'd be best to run it at full speed at all times.

My 10x36 has a 3hp motor, so it'd take a good sized VFD. I use a rotary phase convertor on mine.

Jack
    Jack?

Tasteful and pragmatic paint job, minimal pretensions to it. And Yet .. you might want to highlight the lettering atop the HS so the maker's name is prominent.

No guarantees, but it MAY cut down on the annoyance one gets when a visitor to the shop looks dead AT any REAL lathe, yet says the spring-loaded inevitable:

"Oh, I see you have a SOUTH BEND!"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmhoying View Post
    The gears shifting hydraulics are run from a pump on the main motor. I would guess a VFD would work for powering it, but it'd be best to run it at full speed at all times.

My 10x36 has a 3hp motor, so it'd take a good sized VFD. I use a rotary phase convertor on mine.

Jack
    That's good news I'm getting it for 500 dollars and supposedly it runs so that should be a steal. I've been thinking of a rotary phase converters or something else but I need the lathe first before I know for sure.