What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 12-1/2” tray top lathe

DT38K

Aluminum
Parting out a tray top lathe because I can’t find the parts I need
I am trying to dismantle the apron and am stuck at the outer bushing # 28 that shows to come out the front and the feed shaft sleeve # 31 that comes out from the rear on the feed lever
Only thing I can think of is the two parts are possibly froze to each other unless it is a press fit
Hitting the sleeve with a plastic hammer is not doing anything
Has anyone experienced this issue?

what parts do you need i have a 10x30 built in 1954

All the drive end parts inside the cover are missing, gearbox also has parts missing
I’m not sure where the issue started, or where all the parts went
I’ve already began selling other parts off the machine, total shame but not worth dealing with
I do however appreciate the reply

I am interested in the tail stock. How much ? I might be able to help you when I get home to a manual.

Also interested here! Love to know what you have. If cmike isn't interested in the the entire tail stock or declines purchase, I would be interested in it or specifically the MT2 spindle shaft. Mine has a little scoring in the taper and thus slippage under heavy drilling loads. Also wouldn't mind some spares of other pieces. Sorry I can't help with your issue. I see what you are talking about in the manual but never need to break it down that far. Interested in what you find out.

Thanks!

The tail stock is currently listed on eBay at 400.00 buy it now that includes free shipping
I’ve had a couple of offers but have declined them because this beast weighs in at just under 90 pounds
I got a quote from Iowa to Idaho and the average was 130.00
I ended up taking it apart and have it in two flat rate boxes now
The quill has been modified at the tang area with set screws to keep the drill from spinning and the lock knob has been fitted with a thrust bearing which is a pretty cool idea
I have had a numerous amount of people contacting me for a wide range of parts, this is why I was asking about how to get the apron tore down
Turns out, these two parts have a press fit, my arbor press handled that issue

I left mike a reply, your solution might be what was done to this quill
Two drilled and tapped holes with set screws at the tang area to keep the drill from spinning

DT38K,

I sent a PM to you. I am interested in the spindle from your Tray Top lathe. Please PM or e-mail me. My e-mail address is in the PM I sent.

Vlad

I just sent you an email tonight
I’ll get the spindle out hopefully this next week
Anyone else needing parts from the headstock,let me know
The headstock casting and stands are heading to the iron yard soon after
The rest will be put into storage for my grandkids to sell

are you not going to do the bearings. Let me know what the bearing is or the size of the shaft it fits on. I have a couple of bearings that may be the same. They are spindle bearings and on ID has the slot.
Do you have the tool master parts numbers you need. I have some prints. Did you contact RPT Cincinnati parts company. They call me and wanted to know if I would rebuild a Feed box/

DT38K, does your TrayTop have the standard drive or the clutch drive?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 8.29.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 8.29.15 PM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 145
I on't have a lathe. I just trying to help you with what you have. If you are scraping out your lathe. I just got a call for saddle parts. Hope you are saving them.

I have the saddle and front cross slide, the rear cover was missing
Sold the compound, and several guys are interested in the taper attachment
With attachment, that version has a different housing for the front half of the telescope screw, so it would have to be included to work
I’m thinking I would leave the whole dial, handle, hub assembly and screw together and do a core swap for the buyers unit in exchange for leaving mine complete
Currently dismantling the head stock
The spindle had zero run out on the face and less than five tenths on the rim
I can see one bearing is hand scribed, betting the bearings are tool room high precision

Hey Mike
It always good to have an extra hand when needed, thanks
When I get the spindle out, oil dried and sticky making it tough
I will get the numbers from the bearings to compare
It does have all the clutches like your picture
Plan to hang onto as much as possible
Cast iron all goes, no Castings left behind

I got it apart, seems like I ended up pressing it out
I’m now in the headstock, getting it apart but the dried oil is like thread locker
The complete taper attachment is ready but the screw and nut are worn and I was hoping to address that before putting up for sale
The dial hubs are different between the two versions so that will have to be included along with taper attachment drive shaft

Hey Mike
It always good to have an extra hand when needed, thanks
When I get the spindle out, oil dried and sticky making it tough
I will get the numbers from the bearings to compare
It does have all the clutches like your picture
Plan to hang onto as much as possible
Cast iron all goes, no Castings left behind

PM sent about the clutch. Thanks!

Back