What's new
What's new

Cincinnati #2 Feed Issues

Jerome227837

Plastic
My very first post here.

I am not very knowledgeable about machining but I have one of these old hogs. My father was a Tool maker and I hve 3 brothers who are Tool makers so hopefully they can give me some good advice. Anyway, the feed on this #2 has stopped. Neither the automatic feed nor the manual feed will work on the vertical knee. The X&Y has both worked until recently when the Y also stopped working. My guess is that a pin has sheared off but that’s just a guess. Would anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

And welcome

A first is to realize that maker started making mills in 1884 - so you have a world of progress in mill making

What #2 would be good to know - look on the machine for a tag that has Model and Serial

Makes it easier for folks to help

And welcome

A first is to realize that maker started making mills in 1884 - so you have a world of progress in mill making

What #2 would be good to know - look on the machine for a tag that has Model and Serial

Makes it easier for folks to help

I believe it is a 2MI. I am not at the shop so I can’t know for sure but it looks exactly like a 2MI picture on google. I have not yet figured out how to attach a picture. Lol.

John, Cincinnati started in 1886. I have the 100 year old book put out in 1986. They were involved in the bicycles in the 1890's. It was family own up to its sale in 1999. They never had a union because they were the leader in wages in Cincinnati. They built a lot of boats in the 1932 flood in Cincinnati. ( i think the year is right ). When they moved out of Cincinnati to the new location, they made their own power plant. They even fool around with the cotton gin. I will find the book and take some pictures

If it stopped in knee feed up and down first, it may be the safety gear. I will have to look and make sure the year has the safety gear. All dial types has one. Its for protecting the gearing in case of a wreck. The safety gear has steel balls and heavy springs in it. This gear will spin when it needs too from over travel, wreck, etc. Over the years the balls get egg shape and the spring break. Knee is the first to show it because of its weight. If you hear clicking when in feed, its the safety gear.
May need to check the pressure. Make sure the filter is open to operate.

The safety gear is in the bracket on the right side of the column. Get a long handle screw driver and put the tip at the S. E. corner of the bracket and the handle end to your ear, and then try to feed it. If you hear clicking sound, its the safety gear.

No I don’t have the machine apart yet. My brother is actually the one who will be doing it and he is debating on if it’s worth it if parts may not be available.

C Mike

My very first post here.

I am not very knowledgeable about machining but I have one of these old hogs. My father was a Tool maker and I hve 3 brothers who are Tool makers so hopefully they can give me some good advice. Anyway, the feed on this #2 has stopped. Neither the automatic feed nor the manual feed will work on the vertical knee. The X&Y has both worked until recently when the Y also stopped working. My guess is that a pin has sheared off but that’s just a guess. Would anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance!

That’s a possibility. One Brother who Now legally owns the equipment is inclined to scrap most of it. Myself and 2 other brothers would prefer to work on the machines.

Back