What's new
What's new

Cincinnati #2 TCG Mod

morestainless

Cast Iron
Anybody ever go crazy and modify the crude, rack/split pinion down feed mechanism on one of these (OM), to a precision lead screw or ball screw? Zerol gears work well for the 0 backlash 90 deg. corner. Don't ask me why.

Be more specific

The Cincinnati #2 tool cutter/grinder has a rack/split anti-backlash pinion drive on the cutting head up/down feed, which allegedly makes it difficult to get any fine resolution in movement (.0001") on that axis. Anybody ever replaced this mechanism with something more "refined"?

C Mike

The Cincinnati #2 tool cutter/grinder has a rack/split anti-backlash pinion drive on the cutting head up/down feed, which allegedly makes it difficult to get any fine resolution in movement (.0001") on that axis. Anybody ever replaced this mechanism with something more "refined"?

If Cincinnati had that kind of extras in their selling points, i will look and see.

OK. I think I got it. Replace the hand wheel with a large timing pulley/hand wheel. Add a bracket that supports a smaller timing pulley/hand wheel, a flat timing belt, a cover, and the proper belt tension. 10:1 ratio. Should be able to dial in .0001" then. Same thing on the in feed. DRO too.

C Mike

OK. I think I got it. Replace the hand wheel with a large timing pulley/hand wheel. Add a bracket that supports a smaller timing pulley/hand wheel, a flat timing belt, a cover, and the proper belt tension. 10:1 ratio. Should be able to dial in .0001" then. Same thing on the in feed. DRO too.

I just got home, I will go to the garbage and pull info on the grinder.

Back