Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by morestainless View Post
    After getting the thing completely torn down, I gotta say, I'm impressed with the build of the "little tank".
    Agree a heavy and very good machine...one drawback is not having a fine in-feed in tenths...but it doesn't take long to to go to the +.001 and then bump the hand wheel counting sparks..we ran .0001 and .000050 ODs with dial micrometer and jo blocks for compare.

Same as we had to do on the 13 grinder that did have fine in feed. (B&S 13)

The Cinci #2 was/is about the fastest TC grinderfor stet-up and cracking out the easier/common jobs..

2. Likes morestainless liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Agree a heavy and very good machine...one drawback is not having a fine in-feed in tenths...but it doesn't take long to to go to the +.001 and then bump the hand wheel counting sparks..we ran .0001 and .000050 ODs with dial micrometer and jo blocks for compare.

Same as we had to do on the 13 grinder that did have fine in feed. (B&S 13)

The Cinci #2 was/is about the fastest TC grinderfor stet-up and cracking out the easier/common jobs..
    I have a special application so I'm gonna put a ball screw/nut/servo on the in-feed and add a reduction wheel/pully/servo on the columns crank shaft. 10ths no problem. No backlash in the column. The table gets something too.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my edit doesn't work on this new computer.
    My last post should have said OD work is often less than 6" long...not much/much..

I do have a new Cinci#2 cross feed screw and nut I likely will never need..Guess I would build a wood box for shipping.thinking $600 a fair price..also have one or two Cinci#2 spindles..also BS-13 plane bearing spindle.

For common sharpening slop in the cross is not critical because one way travel to the mark..for new work good to count on the travel being close..
    I saw one machine so sloppy at cross that it locked up mid travel..That was a mess to repair because one could not travel to the location to loosen the lead screw nut...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    my edit doesn't work on this new computer.
    My last post should have said OD work is often less than 6" long...not much/much..

I do have a new Cinci#2 cross feed screw and nut I likely will never need..Guess I would build a wood box for shipping.thinking $600 a fair price..also have one or two Cinci#2 spindles..also BS-13 plane bearing spindle.

For common sharpening slop in the cross is not critical because one way travel to the mark..for new work good to count on the travel being close..
    I saw one machine so sloppy at cross that it locked up mid travel..That was a mess to repair because one could not travel to the location to loosen the lead screw nut...
    Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The feed nut on mine was worn out. I made a new one but the problem I ran into is the pocket in base is worn egg shaped so the nut is not solid to the machine. Too much mess to rebore. Anyone got a suggestion?

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JB weld? Devcon etc

8. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    The feed nut on mine was worn out. I made a new one but the problem I ran into is the pocket in base is worn egg shaped so the nut is not solid to the machine. Too much mess to rebore. Anyone got a suggestion?

Tom
    Original nut stub was 1.500" inch so perhaps a 1 9/16 reamer might make a good bore.Measure to know the actual wash-out taper... I know .03 on a side is a lot but that is older cast iron..

Here a carbide 1 9/16

Cleveland Twist 1-9/16" Adjustable Chucking Reamer Carbide Tipped USA Made | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found this modern art masterpiece under the paint on the end of the table (non load bearing surface). Dunno if Cincinnati did this or Boeing, when they rebuilt it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180819_204946.jpg  

11. Likes rustytool liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm looking for a universal work head for this machine. There seem to be a few on eBay. Were there different versions of the universal (early, middle, late) with improvements or are they all basically the same, other than taper variations?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started out on those old beasts. Held really tight tolerances too.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

14. Likes morestainless liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by morestainless View Post
    Were there different versions of the universal (early, middle, late) with improvements or are they all basically the same, other than taper variations?
    In my opinion, the condition of the workhead will matter much more than any over-the-decades model changes. The one I think of as standard has NMTB50 on one face and MT5 on the other. If it doesn't come with a motor, making a bracket and mounting a fractional HP motor along with a cheap speed control is an easy task.

Bad bearings would be more of a pain to replace.