What's new
What's new

Calling all Cincinnati Enthusiasts! (Need help identifiy horizontal mill)

thmachine1

Aluminum
Hello,

I recently acquired a Cincinnati milling machine. Total weight of the machine is 2,800 lbs. Upon initial inspection, none of the tags have a serial number wrote on it. I have yet to see a serial number stamped on the machine elsewhere.

Been trying to do research on the machine, but coming up empty handed. I used to own a K&T 2HL Universal (light). I would compare this machine to the K&T in reference to size. The table is 9" x 48" It does have the smaller 40 taper spindle, with a 2hp motor.

Has anyone else seen a Cincinnati milling machine like this, at least with the motor sticking out the back?

I would like to know which model this is, and if there is any available literature out there. Going to pick it up tomorrow from the seller and bring it home. First thing I will be doing is giving the machine a fresh oil change.

Pictures below, and any help would be much appreciated in determining the specifics of this horizontal mill.

Thanks,

3923_8112_1.jpg3923_8112_4.jpg3923_8112_6.jpg

Good place to look for serials - face of column adjacent spindle flange and front vertical face of table on end - in all cases stamped into machined cast iron

NORMAL place for serial bottom of riveted on tag related to lubrication and model

Thumbnail is image of the typical rivet on serial/model tag

Attachments

• Cinc Serial Tag.jpg
    Cinc Serial Tag.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Good place to look for serials - face of column adjacent spindle flange and front vertical face of table on end - in all cases stamped into machined cast iron

NORMAL place for serial bottom of riveted on tag related to lubrication and model

Thumbnail is image of the typical rivet on serial/model tag

Hi there John,

Got the milling machine home safely. Upon further inspection, I did find serial number stamped in casting. (Right above spindle)

49M-583537-8

What can you tell me about the machine referencing serial number?

Thanks

SerialN.jpg
John

Picture attached of Serial Number. Just to ensure I didn't type it incorrectly. It does have a US Navy symbol stamped next to serial number.

Would you consider this milling machine to be an oddball?

I measured the dovetails on the Knee, they match my 2MI universal at ~9-3/4"

Put machine under power awhile ago. The clutch lever does not seem to be "disengaging". When I hit the start button, the spindle starts turning. Would love to get my hands on some sort of drawings / parts diagram. Under the assumption that I will need to pull the gearbox in order to fix the clutch linkage issue...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Could be later than the available pubs. My serial book is from '75, which makes it 43 years out of date. Its just that most such mills had been built by then - but then one never knows what the Navy does

A for instance serial from '72 would be 6J1V5Z-146, with 6J the model designation, 1 for machine size, V for vertical and 5Z for 1972 - with the trailing numbers related to number built

It is ENTIRELY possible that Cincinnati came up with a differing system afterwards that we have no knowledge of. A sure fire way to see is find out WHO owns the rights to Cincinnati and ask THEM to check out the number stamped on the machine.

You can tell the machine is a simple bare bones effort, not even being the "dial type", with the big arc shaped badge for selecting speeds left over from LONG AGO

John,

Check out what I found on Ozark manual website. They have available serial number information regarding Cincinnati mills.

Special Machines
Special CINCINNATI Machines which do not conform closely enough to any existing design are given the factory’s manufacturing order numbers for their serial numbers. These are usually six digits in length preceded by the year of order entry and a letter, and followed by a lot number, thus:

41B 426999-2

All that can be determined from this type of serial number is that here is a special Broaching machine first authorized for building in 1941, and that this is the second machine of the type built—probably in a later year. The authorization date (41) is no index to shipping date, which cannot be determined from the serial number. The letter “M” indicates milling or cutter sharpening, “G” indicates grinding and “B” indicates broaching.

Safe to say, my “new” mill is most definitely an odd ball. Only thing I can tell from serial number is that it was ordered in 1949, and the M stands for milling machine.

Appreciate your help up to this point. I’m curious how many others Have their hands on a “special machine” from Cincinnati

My serial number book has what you posted. They do speak of prototype number too. Around 1966 they started putting the year number first. Hypowermatic had 66 - and into the 70's

If anyone is interested, I made a short youtube video of the machine running. I cycle through the three fastest spindle speed (600, 800, 1200rpm) Power feed & rapid traverse in all three directions.

The spindle brake shoes are worn, hence the free spin of spindle unless you are holding down on engage lever.

Cincinnati Milling Machine - YouTube

Back