What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 2ML Power Feed Question

PINCK43

Plastic
Hello All,
I got a question I think I know the answer to, but I wanted to hear your thoughts as well.

With the clutch DISengaged, my table/saddle/knee will slowly adjust if I engage their feed handles. Is this due to a sticky clutch or some other situation, like a gummed up system? I was leaning on sticky clutch. If so, can this be remedied from the outside or will I need to remove the drive assembly? I'm having the manual printed for easier review.

For a little additional fun, I pulled the motor because it was pulling 8.5 while idling, 6 amps without belts and 11 while turning the spindle. Bearings had about 0.04 inch of axial play and rattled like a bag of beads when I shook them. The motor was also pretty gummy too.

Dirty Windings.jpg

Motor Nameplate.jpg

Thank you!

Attachments

• Clutch Wheel.jpg
    Clutch Wheel.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 57
I can't help dx your powerfeed problem, but how did you pull the motor out? I have a 2L, and it has perplexed me. I can't reach the bolts holding the back of motor to mounts, I think I need to remove pin that the motor mounts pivot on, but was hoping someone could verify before I try again in the shop. Thanks!
Aaron

Oh, one question re your issue, are your powerfeed handles engaged when you are manually turning your machine? Mine takes effort to adjust table too if spindle clutch is disengaged, but a power feed handle is engaged. If you disengage power feed it moves freely with handles, so most resistance is coming from driving the powerfeed manually. Maybe I am not understanding your issue though, so apologize if this was obvious. Btw, i think i have exactly the same motor with the same gummy problem and high amp draw. Doing a motor swap shortly...if i can ever get the blasted thing out :)

Hello bud,
Pulling the pins is going to be your best option. From your photos your pivot base setup looks very similar to a k&t. Steve Summers on YouTube did a repair on his and has a good video on how he installed it. My mill has a sliding base so I was able to pry the base up, set a couple boards under the base and then pull the clamp bolts. I then pulled/slid the base out onto a rolling base from harbor freight. You may be able to do something similar to relieve pressure on the pins so they will slide out easily. Also look to see if there is a side vent that will remove for access. Can you thread the end of the pin and use a slide hammer to remove it? Just remember that There is a big potential for pinching fingers. Move slow and be safe.

My issue is probably in the rapid traverse clutches. I think they are sticking.

You have a nice machine. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks for the tip. I checked his video out, unfortunately for me the 2L only has one door to motor cavity. I plan to work on it later today, I will get some pics up on the other thread if I figure it out. Thanks again and good luck with your clutches.

Back