What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 2ML Vertical Head Attachment Sitiation

PINCK43

Plastic
Hello,

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding the fit of my Vertical Head attachment.
ID number Vertical Head.jpg

The head came with the mill. I didn't think to ask what the block of metal bolted to the top of the head was. I later realizing why it was there when I took it off. The Dovetail on the head is under 5 inches. The dovetail on the overarm is over 6 inches (i'll need to get more accurate dimensions later.
Vertical Head on Table.jpg

The head does attach to the mill and it functions well. No unusual wear marks on the gears, temperatures we good (though I didn't really remove much material), no growling/grinding knocking.
Side View Head to Column.jpgFront View Head to Column.jpg

I looking for suggestions on how I should approach this situation (some of my thoughts):
-Leave it as it and get to cutting.
* It does appear to function well so I'm not opposed to this option. If it does become an issue what damage could I cause by running it this way. I'm worried the fit is desirable and running the attachment could lead to problems. It also exposes the column to contaminants, I've got some cleaning to do.
Column Cavity with Metal Shavings.jpg
-Exchange this one for one that fits and is functional.
* who is up for a trade?
-Modify the existing head to accept the overarm dimensions.
* This is above my ability to tackle but there are local shops that can do the work, though it may be tough if the machine this bolts to isn't laid out at the overarm like my 1950s 2ML.

Thank you for reviewing the post and providing any suggestions and/or observations you may have.

Regards,

Pinck

I have the same mill. My upper slide is all the way up against the vertical head. still has slight gap if i remember right. Im gussing they made the block to close it up. All the others ive seen close to the same style as mine are the same.

Been the same since way before I was born - dove tail on overarm gives head some stability

Seems yours does the same in a different way

It runs - use it

Get your favorite sewing gal to make you a washable dust/trash cover

Attachments

• Scan 01.jpg
    Scan 01.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 94

Back