What's new
What's new

Cincinnati 7-1/2x3 Radial Arm Drill

caracadon

Cast Iron
Recently purchased subject machine basically in a box. I have the head re assembled and ready to put back on the rail and run. But, I am looking for manual (parts and service) for this machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

doco

Hello,
There were a lot of models made. A picture or model would help. We have one at work, and manuals were available at vintage machinery.org.
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response. As far as I know, 3 - 71/2 is the model. There are no other designations on the machine anywhere.

cinci3-7.5.jpg
cinci3-7.5_i.jpg

Also, I have checked out Mr. Rucker's site (vintagemachinery.org) and found nothing.

Thanks
doco

The radial drill in question was manufactured by the Cincinnati Lathe & Tool Company, a subsidiary of Cincinnati Milling Machine since 1945-ish.

Mike
Agreed. This drill is not a Cincinnati-Bickford.

The cast "CINCINNATI" is identical to the font cast into the overarm in my 1956 Cincinnati Toolmaster mill.

100_0410.jpg

Cincinnati Lathe & Tool Co. (a resident of the Oakley factory colony, and a subsidiary of Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. after the Mill purchased it in 1945) produced Royal sensitive drills, Cincinnati sliding head drills, and apparently this one size of radial arm drill. At least, it's the only one I've seen in any of their brochures. The latest one it appears in that I have is on the back cover of their 23" and 25" sliding head drill catalog D-150-1 from 1960. It also appears on the back cover of their Royal drills catalog D-136 from 1955.

Last edited:
Bickford was the design, Cincinnati the maker. It is certainly a Bickford type, but looks very late model. We have a 5ft 9" machine here made by G&L that is labeled a G&L Bickford.

Bickford was the design, Cincinnati the maker. It is certainly a Bickford type, but looks very late model. We have a 5ft 9" machine here made by G&L that is labeled a G&L Bickford.

Interesting. Cincinnati-Bickford was also a resident of the Oakley colony, right next door to Cincinnati Milling and Cincinnati Lathe & Tool. So did CL&T somehow acquire the design for this small radial drill from Cincinnati-Bickford when C-B was bought by Giddings & Lewis in 1955 and left Oakley shortly after? Was it a C-B product before 1955? I see that there's an undated C-B catalog on VM that shows a 7" column, 2-1/2" swing radial drill; the factory address in the catalog uses a two-digit postal zone, so it likely pre-dates the zip code system of 1963. This drill, however, is not the same as the CL&T drill.

Seems odd that CL&T would get into the radial arm drill market with just this one model. Perhaps it was smaller than the offerings from C-B, Carlton, etc. so they saw a market niche, but tooling up to just build one small radial drill seems unprofitable.

Last edited:
There is no official connection (that I know of) between Cincinnati-Bickford and Cincinnati Lathe & Tool Co., beyond that they were both in Cincinnati and both made drills.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Doco, I've looked through my paper collection, and other than the two brochures I referenced above, I can't find anything else on these CL&T radial drills. Sorry, no manuals.

Back