What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Dividing Head -

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I cannot get the dividing head to rotate UP. I feel like I must be missing something silly?

Loosened the top two nuts on the vertical studs, loosened the side bolts, won't budge a bit. The Cinci advertisement I have shows the "swivel block clamping bolt" as the two vertical studs that I loosened the nuts on.

I've used the dividing head many times, its in great shape, just guessing it hasn't been rotated this century.

If I put a bar into a tool holder in the spindle, and pull upwards, is there a risk of damaging anything?

Any better recommendations?

Thanks!

Scans from 1923. I suppose later they had NMTB tapers like K&T

Attachments

• DH01.jpg
    DH01.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 108
  • DH02.jpg
    DH02.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DH03.jpg
    DH03.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DH04.jpg
    DH04.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DH05.jpg
    DH05.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 104
Cincinnati operator's manual for a Universal dividing head is M - 745 - 4. Serial number is consist of 3 letters followed by the year designation and a unit number..Example CUD-5R-2 is a 12 inch dividing head. The 5R is 1965.They have what they call clamping straps. Eccentric for disengaging worm.

regards,
Mike

The design is essentially the same John, thanks, I have an advertisement that has detail views similar to yours though I don't know the vintage. My dividing head is a NMTB 50, I owned one nearly identical that was a B&S taper.

Machdaddy I tried a bar, 2ft bar, 3ft pipe, with no luck. I'm not a big guy, but I was putting what I would think is a considerable effort with no movement.

I'm hesitant to strike anything, but would tapping on the straps with a Babbitt block help? I looked to see if I could start a wedge somewhere to separate the clamp straps with no luck.

Mike thanks for the info, I'll have to look and see what the serial is. Is there a listing somewhere with the date codes?

The design is essentially the same John, thanks, I have an advertisement that has detail views similar to yours though I don't know the vintage. My dividing head is a NMTB 50, I owned one nearly identical that was a B&S taper.

Machdaddy I tried a bar, 2ft bar, 3ft pipe, with no luck. I'm not a big guy, but I was putting what I would think is a considerable effort with no movement.

I'm hesitant to strike anything, but would tapping on the straps with a Babbitt block help? I looked to see if I could start a wedge somewhere to separate the clamp straps with no luck.

Mike thanks for the info, I'll have to look and see what the serial is. Is there a listing somewhere with the date codes?

I have the dates The number 5 and the letter is 1953 to 1972. 1 and the letter is 1933 to 1952. There is a wedge at the T handle, I think its screw down to work.

Last edited:
I wound up soaking the dividing head in coolant and letting it soak over the weekend. Yesterday I tapped on the straps with a babbit block and gave the screws a few sharp wraps.

I damn near gave myself a hernia and I thought I was going to pick the table up but the head finally came free.

As expected, as smooth as can be.

CUC 5P 62 is what is marked across the front.

Thanks everyone!

Back