What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Greaves Mill question

dana gear

Hot Rolled
We purchased a Cincinnati Greaves universal mill from a university lab that appears to have never been used or used very little, In other words it looks brand new. It came with a Greaves dividing head that has a drive set up on it.
We were told that the dividing head and vertical head were all purchased new at the same time as the mill.
Apairently in the 40 or so years that the mill languished in the corner of the lab parts of the dividing head drive system disappeared. The mill came with a complete parts manual and service manual, however neither manuals have any information on the dividing head drive. There is only a picture of the head mounted to the table.
This is the model Greaves universal that has ONE drive motor for all functions.
Question is there anyone out there that has any photos etc related to the driven dividing head.
We did get some random spur gears with it, and there is a arm and idler mounted to the dividing head itself.
We have a couple of K&T mills and a Cincinnati mill with driven dividing heads and basically there pretty much the same. I would just like to see how the Greaves was originally set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 80
I have the newest of the grieves, 1971, your is a lot older than that, the new one have a motor in the knee, old one have drive shafts like yours, anyway the missing parts would not be hard to make...Phil

Yes, I have seen all those. Just attempting to find someone out there that had or has a Greaves with the driven dividing head.
Fabricating missing pieces should not a problem for the most part, it would however be nice to see how Greaves set up the drive system so we are not re-engineering.
The original invoice for the machine has a date of May 5 1964

I also just picked up one of these machines and am looking for the dividing head for it if anyone has an extra.

I been in this business my entire life, actually my family been involved with machine work since around 1918. That said in all this time I have only seen 5 Greaves driven dividing heads ever, and two of those I own. Although both of these are missing the Greaves factory drive assembly. We ended up fabricating a drive system for one of ours.
I do believe that there are far more Greaves mills back east then out here in NorCal .

Back