What's new
What's new

Cincinnati horizontal mill 1 1/2

wriggles

Plastic
First thanks for letting me join.I am in Australia and just saved a Cincinnati horizontal mill from being scraped.The machine is in very good condition Ann came with a powered dividing head.I have been in contact with Cincinnati machine tools for any books on this machine but they need a serial no which I cannot find.The only markings are speed and feeds and a cast badge Cincinnati 1 1/2.I was told that it was made around 1916. It’s a flat belt drive 3 speed. It came with a heap of gears and has power feed to all movements. Hoping someone might know of the machine. Cheers wriggles

It’s a flat belt drive 3 speed

Attached are three images of a Cincinnati 1&1/2 Universal mill made for the years 1896, 1903, and 1907.
These are four step driving cone mills with 16 spindle speeds and twelve feed rate settings.
Here is a library in Cincinnati, Ohio that has a collection of early catalogs including
some for Cincinnati milling machines:
CONTENTdm
Cincinatti Universal 1896.jpgCincinatti General Dimensions 1896.jpgCincinatti 1903 Universal Mill.JPGCincinatti 1907 Universal Mill.jpgCincinatti 1907 Universal Mill Specs.jpg

Regards, John

Watch out for the mice:D

There is a three step cone pulley hanging off the back of the 1896 mill for feed.
That 1913 scan may be the final rendition of the Cincinnati cone drive miller.
By 1916 Cincinnati had made the design leap to the enclosed "High Power" mill.
1916 High-Power Mill.jpg
John

but they need a serial no which I cannot find.

Do some cleaning on face of column around spindle nose - serials are usually just a few letters/numbers stamped into machined cast iron

My 1919 #4 High Power vertical (scrapped years ago) was B121M

Growing up I thought Cincinnati was a boring useless town, since then I learned it actually used to be a pretty great place with lots of history.

Too bad it’s since become a boring useless town.

It’s cool seeing machinery in such far away places like Australia with the name of my home town cast into it.

Good luck with it!

Another old Cincinnati

Scan from 1913 BIG catalog - though I have yet to find a reference to three step cones. The 1 1/2 was gone by the BIG 1923 catalog

View attachment 323414

Hello can I get any information you have about that scan of the 1913 no 1-1/2? I have recently purchased and now have at home what I believe is that exact machine I'm in the process of tearing it down now. Very very little out there on these. Looking for any thing I can. Thank you

Hello can I get any information you have about that scan of the 1913 no 1-1/2? I have recently purchased and now have at home what I believe is that exact machine I'm in the process of tearing it down now. Very very little out there on these. Looking for any thing I can. Thank you

Maybe today - it (the 1913 pub) used to be hard bound but I took out the staples some time back so you could actually scan a page. Is yours Plain or Universal?

Here are the pages on the Universal

Cinc 15 Uni 1913 Image.jpgCinc 15 Uni 1913 Text.jpg

Last edited:
Attached are three images of a Cincinnati 1&1/2 Universal mill made for the years 1896, 1903, and 1907.
These are four step driving cone mills with 16 spindle speeds and twelve feed rate settings.
Here is a library in Cincinnati, Ohio that has a collection of early catalogs including
some for Cincinnati milling machines:
CONTENTdm
View attachment 323392View attachment 323393View attachment 323394View attachment 323395View attachment 323396

Regards, John

Watch out for the mice:D
I have a 1907 version with four step pulleys that aren't in use. Currently have a problem related to overuse of the backgear feature. Some idiot decided to drive the counter-shaft with roller chain and lock the machine in backgear in order to drive the spindle! If I ever find that fool I'm gonna wring his neck; with pleasure. Anyway, she's locked up in the middle of a gear cutting task. Am trying to locate a diagram of some sort to point out the most direct way to get the spindle, planetary, cone pulley, and so on off the machine so I can fix it. No junk pile for this old lady.

Back