What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Hydrashift 10x60 control panel wiring help

Hello,

I am new to machining and to Practical Machinist, so forgive the rookie stupid questions.

I have recently acquired a 1973 Cincinnati Hydrashift 10x60 lathe. The lathe was in fair to good condition and I have since given it a paint job and tuned up everywhere I can to give it some tlc. I bought a manual reprint for lube specs and other info. I removed the headstock cover and gears look in quite good condition for the age.

Now for the problem I am having.

I just got a new Mitsubishi D720 VLD, sized appropriately (3hp, 10 amp, 220 single phase in, 220 three phase out) and proceeded to wire the lathe. I am bringing 220 single phase to the VLD and 220 three phase from the VLD to the lathe. After programming the parameters for my motor plate specs and checking all connections, breaker, safety, new fuses in machine, when I go to push the on (forward and reverse) buttons on lathe I am just getting a crackling in the control panel but nothing else. It also flashes OL on VLD indicating overload.

When I went to look at machine the equipment seller had it hooked up with 440 volts and the machine worked thru all the forward and reverse speeds, so I know the lathe runs. Additionally, I was told the machine came out of a Nabisco factory and the plate on the control panel says 460 volts. I obtained a motor wiring diagram from Reuland, and changed the motor leads to low voltage:

9-3-L3
8-2-L2
7-1-L1
4-5-6

My question is, will I need to make changes in the control panel to make the machine run on 230 three phase or would the control panel be wired the same for 230/460?

I am going to call Cincinnati Machines again to see if I can get a panel wiring diagram, but talking to them is like talking to the DMV, so I figured I would start here with the knowledge of the group.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Frank

Last edited:
Additional info

Hello,

I am new to machining and to Practical Machinist, so forgive the rookie stupid questions.

I have recently acquired a 1973 Cincinnati Hydrashift 10x60 lathe. The lathe was in fair to good condition and I have since given it a paint job and tuned up everywhere I can to give it some tlc. I bought a manual reprint for lube specs and other info. I removed the headstock cover and gears look in quite good condition for the age.

Now for the problem I am having.

I just got a new Mitsubishi D720 VLD, sized appropriately (3hp, 10 amp, 220 single phase in, 220 three phase out) and proceeded to wire the lathe. I am bringing 220 single phase to the VLD and 220 three phase from the VLD to the lathe. After programming the parameters for my motor plate specs and checking all connections, breaker, safety, new fuses in machine, when I go to push the on (forward and reverse) buttons on lathe I am just getting a crackling in the control panel but nothing else. It also flashes OL on VLD indicating overload.

When I went to look at machine the equipment seller had it hooked up with 440 volts and the machine worked thru all the forward and reverse speeds, so I know the lathe runs. Additionally, I was told the machine came out of a Nabisco factory and the plate on the control panel says 460 volts. I obtained a motor wiring diagram from Reuland, and changed the motor leads to low voltage:

9-3-L3
8-2-L2
7-1-L1
4-5-6

My question is, will I need to make changes in the control panel to make the machine run on 230 three phase or would the control panel be wired the same for 230/460?

I am going to call Cincinnati Machines again to see if I can get a panel wiring diagram, but talking to them is like talking to the DMV, so I figured I would start here with the knowledge of the group.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Frank

More info:

-I have tried the 6 possible wiring configurations of the 3 incoming wires (ground stays constant), still just getting crackling in panel, nothing in motor

-I called Cincinnati to see about getting a panel diagram, and Dukes answer was I will get back to you with a price quote (%%**%^&$%& you very much!)

-I called VFDS.com to talk to tech support and they wanted to charge $125 just to talk, so not gonna do that since I do not think the problem is with vfd

I believe the issue is in the panel configuration

New information:

I had an electrician lineman friend come check my work and found:

-good 220 supply from panel
-good 220 supply to vfd
-IMBALANCE from vfd to lathe, was getting a 150, 120, 120 reading

He is unfamiliar with VFD's so did not know how to correct, but I programmed the parameters accordingly to 230 voltage, but I am not getting a balanced 3 phase current from vfd to lathe

Seems I have a VFD issue related to programming

C Mike

Typo in original post, I said VLD a few times and meant VFD, I guess I have bullets on my mind.

call Cincinnati and hit 0 for the operator and ask for someone on the old machines. Give them the serial number of the machine. and ask for electrical print. Some Cincinnati machines have electrical print on the tag below the serial number.

Are you checking Line to Line voltages or Line to Ground? Are your heaters matched to load? Do you have the correct voltage to the coils? I'm no expert but do work on machines from time to time and these are what I would look at first.
Rick

Do you have serial number ? The later years Cincinnati put electrical print number on the electrical panel. I don't thinki that machine will have one. So I need a serial number and I can check my prints/

Back