What's new
What's new

Cincinnati Milacron

valkrider

Plastic
We have an old Cincinnati Milacron at the plant. It's designed to run on 240 to 480 VAC 3 phase but we are running it on 208.

We've had some interment problems with it which are probably caused by the control transformer putting out only 105 - 108 volts because it's not designed for a 208 volt input.

Our 208 is 120 to 123 volts leg to ground and about 209 volts leg to leg. Is there any reason why I can't leave the control transformer out of the equation and just power our control's 120 volt needs directly from my incoming 120 volt ac power?

The main reason is that there is no white neutral on most three phase wiring unless it is required for the machine.
It would be possible to supply a 120 volt circuit from the main shop panel to provide power for the control circuit. The only downside to that is it remains hot if the main disconnect is off, warning labels would be required.
I am not an electrician and may get some flack for suggesting such a work around. You don’t mention what the actual problem is and it may not be the slightly low voltage.

Good luck

Back