What's new
What's new

Cincinnati No 3 Horizontal Mill- Need Arbor Support

crcarson26

Aluminum
The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this BEAST of a Cincinatti (Lot # 93); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
View attachment 295091
CINCINATTI MILLING MACHINE VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL HEAD NO. 3 SER. ZA3PIZ-76 You must use our Rig

Hey Man, I was the winner of this machine on BidSPotter. Just got it loaded onto a truck today for shipment out west. Can you give me any background on the machine? Any problems or areas it needs work on?

Cheers,

*Edit from Mod: Posts were merged to give op credit for thread, and his info in one place. This convo started here:
Cincinnati No. 3 Horizontal Mill

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an opportunity to acquire a Cincinnati No. 3 Horizontal Mill.
The serial no. is 2A3P1K-98
Can anyone tell me what year it was made?
I will guess the late 30's to early 40's.
8,500 Lbs.
Thanks

Hey Man, I too just acquired a 1950's era Cincinnati No. 3 Horizontal Milling Machine. Serial number is ZA3P1Z-76. Keith Rucker over at VintageMachinery.org looked it up and verified it was ordered in the early 50's. Did you end up finding the proper manual for yours? I am still digging around for mine.

now I have a alot of Cat 50 tooling I need to start hunting for :scratchchin:

r6O1iCth.jpg

QCPcC0Fh.jpg

MHSrOl5h.jpg

qZICjxfh.jpg

Cincinnati No 3 Horizontal Mill

Hey Guys, Just received a newly acquired Cincinnati No. 3 Horizontal Mill 1940-era and I'm looking for the arbor support for this machine. Anyone know where I may find some leads on one? Any and all info is welcome. Super excited to get this beast cleaned up and re-freshed!!

Cheers,

QCPcC0Fh.jpg

cm0LG3mh.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5124.jpg
    IMG_5124.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5133.jpg
    IMG_5133.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 35
Awesome ! If you can post a serial number, or show a pic of the brass plate with it, usually has a small pic of machine, I can probably tell you a little more.

:cheers:

Awesome ! If you can post a serial number, or show a pic of the brass plate with it, usually has a small pic of machine, I can probably tell you a little more.

Thanks for your reply.. The serial number for my machine is: ZA3P1Z-76

Any info you could post would be great.

Cheers,

Thanks for your reply.. The serial number for my machine is: ZA3P1Z-76

Any info you could post would be great.

Cheers,

I believe you may be mis-reading the first digit, it should be a "2", so 2A3P1Z-76.

2A3P means: No. 3 Plain Medium Speed Dial Type Milling Machine—Model OM, specifically the 3 means No3 size, and P means plain (U would mean universal).

The 1Z in 2A3P1Z-76 is the year the order for the machine was booked. Sometimes the machine was completed the next calendar year. In any case, your 1Z means it was ordered in 1952.

The 76 in 2A3P1Z-76 means it was the 76th of such machine booked in that same year.

Nicely shown from this link:
Cincinnati Milling & Grinding Machines Serial Numbers Index | Ozark Tool Manuals & Books

If Ironhead52 doesn't have one then send me the dimensions and I'll take a look at my stock. I have about 100 various sized arbor supports for K&T and Cincy mills.

If Ironhead52 doesn't have one then send me the dimensions and I'll take a look at my stock. I have about 100 various sized arbor supports for K&T and Cincy mills.

Yes thanks for your reply.. If you could take a look through your stock that would be great.. The dovetail measurement is ~6" on the small dimension and 7.5" on the large dimension.

Thanks much for your help and please let me know what you find.

Cheers,

Well I finally got this beast off-loaded and indoors, out of the weather, and in an area where I can do a proper assessment. Lots of cleaning and elbow grease in store for me this winter!!

8jctXEhh.jpg

uHIlxnFh.jpg

sSI3Pbyh.jpg

zPI9CQLh.jpg

7sPgoWXh.jpg

Well.....the "Z" in the serial is really a "4" - its a somewhat later 4A dial type with the powered over arm, so the pubs linked in this thread above are pretty close to what is available for download. The 1Z in the serial says 1952

I expect like all 68 year old machine tools that such things as hydraulic assist systems won't be working properly

Fortunately, the Service & Parts pub has fairly good how to (be nice to acquire one more near 1952 though)

Above links mentioned are not the extent - I'd suggest haunting the Cincinnati Milling Machine list on VM to see what else you might find - such as CMM's extensive LUBRICANT specifications

Here is the list

Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. (Milacron) - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

good luck

Well.....the "Z" in the serial is really a "4" - its a somewhat later 4A dial type with the powered over arm, so the pubs linked in this thread above are pretty close to what is available for download. The 1Z in the serial says 1952

I expect like all 68 year old machine tools that such things as hydraulic assist systems won't be working properly

Fortunately, the Service & Parts pub has fairly good how to

Above links mentioned are not the extent - I'd suggest haunting the Cincinnati Milling Machine list on VM to see what else you might find - such as CMM's extensive LUBRICANT specifications

I was guessing 2A3P which was No 3 medium speed, I was thinking 2 might look like Z. If its 4A3P it would be No 3 High speed. Both "plain" with the P.

Could be a 2A - but very late (1952) to be selling them with 450 top end:D

Might be a good combo if the overarm vertical spindle gets on up there

I'll take a look within the next couple of days to see what I have. I don't know for sure if Cincy had the A, B, and C type arbors like K & T has. I'll do some research at VM or maybe someone here can fill me in on the Cincy mills.

Where in NV are you located? Right now all of my arbors are in Hesperia, CA but they're being moved to Texas this coming week. If I do have them I'll let you know ASAP and if you're close enough it might be worth taking a trip to pick them up rather than paying for shipping from Texas.

Where in NV are you located? Right now all of my arbors are in Hesperia, CA but they're being moved to Texas this coming week. If I do have them I'll let you know ASAP and if you're close enough it might be worth taking a trip to pick them up rather than paying for shipping from Texas.

Thanks for your reply.. I am in northern Nevada in Reno.. Are you still available to meet to take a peek at the supports you have? If so let me know when is best for you..

Cheers,

Fortunately, the Service & Parts pub has fairly good how to (be nice to acquire one more near 1952 though)

Here is the list

Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. (Milacron) - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

good luck

Yes you are exactly right.. after spending all weekend scrubbing the dirt and grime off the machine, the serial in the casting reads 4A3P.. So #3 high speed machine which is very cool.. 😝

Back